PDA

View Full Version : Running Problems

ExSapper
12-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but, here goes, I have just started building a layout, I connected the track ( not pinned or anything ) and connected control etc; I then placed the engine on the line and tried to run it, it made a buzzing noise tried to move then stopped, I eventually got it to move twice round the circuit, but it then stopped, it makes the buzzing noise as though its trying to move but doesn't. Its DCC I checked the lines to see they were all connected properly. Cann anyone offer any suggestions as to what may be wrong? It is a brand new trainset straight out of the box.

A1TNL
12-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi, my first questions would be
1) is the track clean (have you used a track rubber to clean it)
2) if you run a short piece of track on it's own (just the straight piece with the power would be good) if the train runs well on this then extend it a little.
3) is the layout brand new or second hand (if second hand then the train wheels could probably do with a good clean also.

i will stop there as i am sure plenty more suggestions will come

alfaz-di-pi
13-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi Exsapper the above advice is good, with DCC there is data being fed back and forward through the track to the decoder and controller. If the track is not clean ie oil etc: it will disrupt the signals. like wise the pickups on the loco have to be good, and although it is new can sometimes be disturbed. With it being new, it should not be making any buzzing noises, and I would suggest you take it back to the retailer, and let him sort it out if it is possible.

Albert.

BerkshireBugsy
13-02-2012, 07:36 AM
My question would be "are you using the right type of power connector?"

Just be aware there are (at least) two types of power connector track which are used to connect te controller to the rails. If you are using a connector which has two brown knobs (where the feed from the controller goes in) that is tong as it is dc which has capacitors which mess up the dcc signals

I believe you need one with blue knobs on it.

Dave

ExSapper
13-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, Dave yes the power supply has the dark colour knobs, as this is a new set, I thought they would have included the correct one; I haven't used a track cleaner as again I assumed that it being new the track shouldn't need cleaning.

Flashbang
13-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi ExSapper
Is this a Hornby or a Bachmann set? Or some other make??

A Hornby DCC set will include the Hornby Select console and the correct DCC track power clip.
A Bachmann set will include a Bachmann EZ Command DCC console Or the Bachmann Dynamis and again the correct DCC power connector.

Without any locos on the rails, does the DCC system power up correctly?
Hornby Select should show 12-30-03 on start up and you then set the address number of the loco as required.
If it shows Er or -- then there is a short circuit on the rails.

The basic Bachmann EZ Command starts up and shows the entered address numbers LED lit next to the number button and the Power LED lit too.

ExSapper
14-02-2012, 09:27 AM
It's a Hornby set, and yes the select control powers up ok with the numbers you stated

Flashbang
14-02-2012, 11:01 AM
OK thats good.
Next you need to clean the rail tops and ensure the locos wheel treads are also spotlessly clean. All the metal rail joiners (fishplates) need to be tight on both ends of the two rails they connect together.
Then retry.

Have you set the locos address number to something other than 03 as yet?

You could, if all else fails, try resetting the Select as per the manuals instructions on page 19.

ExSapper
20-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Many thanks for the replies, have tried everything suggested no success. I have been in touch with Hornby ,they seem to think its a faulty loco so have asked for its return.

ExSapper
29-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Loco returned to Hornby, they have fitted a new motor, thanks for all your advice and help.

alfaz-di-pi
29-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Hi Exsapper, glad to hear that you managed to get the problem sorted. It is as has been said many times, it does not always come out of the box and work straight away.

Albert.