PDA

View Full Version : Chimney on Bachmann A1 60139 "Sea Eagle"

smoothdude
13-04-2012, 05:54 PM
I like the look of Bachmann's Sea Eagle and I was thinking of purchasing one as it has sound included, but there is only one thing that is bugging me and that is the double chimney. All the photos I have seen of this loco show it with a lipped or flanged chimney and not plain as modelled by Bachmann. Does anyone know if this loco ever did have a plain chimney in one of its earlier incarnations?

Frisbee54
13-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Hi Smoothdude
The Peppercorn A1 Pacifics were ordered by the LNER but were not delivered until after Nationalisation. Edward Thompson who had become Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LNER after the death of Sir Nigel Gresley was a renowned hater of everything Gresley. His Pacifics were largely rebuilds of Gresley's P2s and A10s and did away with the conjugated valve gear. These were introduced during World War Two and as an austerity measure they were originally introduced with plain stovepipe chimneys and looked very ungainly. When Peppercorn replaced Thompson as CME he needed to introduce his own Pacifics quickly and so his designs were very much based on Thompson's but with a revised and better looking front end. The smoke box and chimney were identical to Thompson's and most of the locomotives ran with this configuration until the plain chimneys were replaced with a lipped version during the mid 1950s. The Bachman version is therefore correct for Sea Eagle as it ran up to about 1955.
Hope this helps.
Regards
John

smoothdude
14-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi John
Many thanks for your comprehensive and informative reply. Edward Thompson, as you say, has a lot to answer for. He certainly wasn't one who worried about appearances. The only thing you could say in his defense, was the fact that during war, aesthetics were not a top priority. However, it's a pity that Bachmann did not model their A1 on the later version with the much more visually pleasing chimney. However, at least I know now that the stovepipe chimney as modelled, is correct for the prototype during that early period.Thanks for clearing that up.