PDA

View Full Version : wiring

clancy
31-07-2012, 06:56 PM
hi guys have been busy working on the oo layout after finally finishing the o layout now i know nothing about electrics i need your help please i have basicly 3 ovals and need to move loc's from one to another but when i change points either the loco's stop or barely move i have wired the 3 ovals from the same side of the track but now i'm totally confused you all probaly know the answers can you help please regards chris

alfaz-di-pi
31-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi Chris for me to answer I would need to see a picture of your ovals, to see where you have put the power feeds, Howevr what makes me wonder is that you say they either stop or barely move. it would suggest that the power is not getting through the track via the fishplates. I assume that your points are all isolating, whch means that the power will pass the way the point is leading. Have you got one controller or one for each oval. Perhaps Flashbang could give you a more positive answer.

Albert.

Flashbang
01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi
If you have three separate loops then ideally you need three controllers, assuming your a dc (analogue) user and not DCC?

Also I would recommend fitting two insulated rail joiners (Nylon fishplates) to the rail ends of all cross-over points where they abut each other and form the cross-over pair linking loop to loop.

Before progressing further can you...
a) Advise what operating method is used - dc or DCC? If dc how many controllers are you using?
b) Post a simple plan of the layout if possible as this would really help.

clancy
01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
hi flashbang have tried to post a diagram but cannot get it to work so i will try to explain first i have 2 model D controllers sending out 3 wires 1 to each track if you to imagine 3 horizontal lines in front of you top left hand corner r/h point turning in through a crossover to another r/h point then along to your right i have a l/p going to the middle line picking up another l/h point thats it i hope i have explained it ok regards chris

clancy
01-08-2012, 02:52 PM
it seems the diagram came across its primative but you might be able to work it out //chris

Flashbang
01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi
OK, its a dc (analogue) fed layout.
The Gaugemaster D is a twin controller so if you're using two ds then you'll have one track output unused.
Next you need to fit IRJs to all cross-over points - Two IRJs are needed per cross-over pair of points and the fit onto the points where they abut each other the IRJs replace the metal rail joiners (Fishplates). These IRJs are essential to prevent short circuits or any cross controller feeding occurring.

Move the feed on the inner loop to between the two points. Power feeds should whenever possible feed into a points toe end then be switched by the points position and flow out via the frog and vee rail.

Once the IRJs are fitted and the feed repositioned on the inner loop, to move a loco from one loop to the other set the two controllers to roughly the same speed setting and to the same direction of travel. Controller 1 will send the loco from loop 1 to the IRJ joint in the cross-over point and as the loco passes over the IRJs and onto the other loop Controller 2 takes over. Once the loco has crossed the points IRJs Controller 1 can be turned off and the loco controlled by Controller 2 only. Set the cross-over point back to straight running and Controller 1 can be then used to operate another loco on loop 1 etc.

clancy
01-08-2012, 06:49 PM
thanks flashbang i understand fully now just could'nt put it all together will let you know how i get on thanks again regards chris

clancy
02-08-2012, 05:20 PM
this is for flashbang just to let you know everything worked out fine thanks again regards chris

Flashbang
02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi Chris
Great news. Well done ;);)