PDA

View Full Version : Selling model railway

Haagston
23-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone.
I have a reasonable amount of 00 gauge track, locos and rolling stock plus some pretty old (by todays standards) transformers and controllers which I'm thinking about selling. I have at least 6 steam engines and a handful of diesels plus about 6 rhubarb and custard carriages and 3 BR blue and white carriages, some merry go round hoppers and some general wagons, including a reasonably new never used Bachmann Highley mining company set from the SVR shop. (I'll put pics on if I decide to sell)
It was all bought for me before I was born in 1979 (apart from the SVR stock) and having compared it to whats out there today all seems a bit dated especially the transformers! I'd like to get it up and running and even went to the trouble of constructing a table and baseboard in my loft but as I have a 1 year old child and a job that has me working some silly hours I don't really have any spare time and could probably benefit from the cash it may bring.

The question is.... is there still a market for stuff that is nearly 34 years old or do people tend to go for newer more up to date user friendly models, track and power?

Would I gain more selling it as a job lot on either these forums or Ebay?

Or should I just persevere and get it running??

Confused.com

Flashbang
23-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Confused. AKA Haagston.

Personally I would sell it all on an auction web site. Items will fetch more if they are in their original boxes and those boxes are in mint (as new) condition.

Have a look at whats being sold currently that matches your items - Use the 'Rxxx' numbers often found on the items underside to compare like for like sales.

All the best and good luck.

Haagston
23-11-2012, 12:57 PM
cheers Flashbang.
My only concern is its all a bit old, but I guess there must be some collectors out there who like that.

PteBurden
23-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Pre-1976 implies Triang, Hornby-Dublo, Trix, Wrenn etc, something along those lines (or at the latest, very early Hornby or Triang-Hornby). As a rule, quite collectable these days. Makes me kick myself, given all the Triang I had in the early 90s as a boy that at the time no-one wanted...

unklehomer
23-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Auction site would best. If you can bothered break it down into individual items for locos, maybe groups for rolling stock, and moderate sized groups of similar bits of track say 4 right hand points together, you could seel in bigger groups for less hassle. The transformers I wouldn't bother with, high postage cost etc...

Would be interested to see what you have as I quite like old triang type stuff on nostalgia grounds myself.

Haagston
24-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I'll take some shots when I've got time to arrange it and post them here, thanks for the info, half of me wants to keep it and see what I can do with it, the other half says get rid start again with something more up to date when time allows, seems like a waste, my grandfather paid about 150 for an awful lot of stuff, I have no idea what 150 in 1979 would be now! Will post some pics!

napster5000
24-11-2012, 09:55 PM
If Anyone Was Interested Then My Guess That 150 in 1979 Would Be Worth Around 1500-1600

Thats If Anyone Was Interested LOL

Rog (RJ)
24-11-2012, 10:17 PM
This site (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html) gives an answer of 678

Haagston
26-11-2012, 04:02 PM
wow! I wasn't expecting that much of a return! Meddling thing is I kinda want to keep it and get it running again, especially after all the work I'll have to do restoring locos and cleaning track, they're not dirty just havent been used since about 1984, the track is a bit dusty having lived in a big red trunk for most of its life!