PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Mountain Railway

Tony House
28-01-2013, 08:36 PM
What a lovely program about the reinstatment of a lost narrow guage railway well worth watching the other programs on for the next 3 nights 7.00pm on BBC2

alfaz-di-pi
29-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi Tony I missed the first one but watched the 2nd tonight. Very interesting I thought and would be well worth a visit. My daughter and my grandsons go to Beddgellart for camping, and take trips on that railway.

Albert.

BerkshireBugsy
29-01-2013, 09:44 PM
I watched last nights and ave downloaded tonight's in prep for the daily commute. What with this, Dan snow and Michael portillos programmes we are spoilt atte moment

silversurfer1947
29-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Last year, i did the trip from Porthmadog to Caernarvon and return. Quite expensive, but well worth the trip. The scenery is very special. The train was pulled by one of the Beyer-Garretts, no 87.

alfaz-di-pi
29-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Hi Alan , I don't know how old the program is on tv, but I was most impressed by the loco and coach turnout, they really looked in 1st class condition. I am looking forward to the next instalment.
Albert.

christopherE
30-01-2013, 07:47 AM
I've got the first two recorded and haven't watched them yet.
-
The last time the missus and I were up there was in 1981, when
the line was in a very sorry state. A few hundred yards of track,
dreadful decay, and pi**-poor organisation by the crowd who were
trying to run it. Still got the Edmonson-stock tickets in my box
of holiday trivia !
-
I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I watch the series
back-to-back over next weekend.

Chris

euromodeller
30-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Greta programme.
There are plenty of railway related programmes on TV at the moment, what a joy :)

I used to exhibit a HOe narrow gauge layout and made a baby Garrat for it, never did get it to run correctly though :(

silversurfer1947
30-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I've got the first two recorded and haven't watched them yet.
-
The last time the missus and I were up there was in 1981, when
the line was in a very sorry state. A few hundred yards of track,
dreadful decay, and pi**-poor organisation by the crowd who were
trying to run it. Still got the Edmonson-stock tickets in my box
of holiday trivia !
-
I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I watch the series
back-to-back over next weekend.

Chris

Beware - there is a second steam railway in Porthmadog - The Welsh Highland Heritage Railway, at the other end of the town. From your description, this sounds more like the one you visited. I have been to the town many times over the last 10 years or so and the WHR was completely non-visible till fairly recently. Travelling on the train, you pass where the WHHR ends. I believe the trackline from the harbour station up to this point is new. After this, it follows the line of the old railway (except as stated in the programmes).

christopherE
30-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Beware - there is a second steam railway in Porthmadog - The Welsh Highland Heritage Railway, at the other end of the town. From your description, this sounds more like the one you visited. I have been to the town many times over the last 10 years or so and the WHR was completely non-visible till fairly recently. Travelling on the train, you pass where the WHHR ends. I believe the trackline from the harbour station up to this point is new. After this, it follows the line of the old railway (except as stated in the programmes).

Thanks, silversurfer. That may well have been the case.
-
The one we travelled on (for a few hundred feet !) had its entrance
off the High Street, on the right, about a quarter of a mile North
of the Royal Sportsman Hotel, where we were staying.
-
Is this the one you describe ?

Chris

silversurfer1947
30-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks, silversurfer. That may well have been the case.
-
The one we travelled on (for a few hundred feet !) had its entrance
off the High Street, on the right, about a quarter of a mile North
of the Royal Sportsman Hotel, where we were staying.
-
Is this the one you describe ?

Chris

Yes, that sound like it. Not far from the mainline station. I understand this was the original end of the railway, but they could not raise the funding as the Festinniog could, so they bought up the rest of the line and merged the two lines. It is a quite a sight to see a Beyer Garrett travelling down the High Street!

Robotstar5
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Well, I recorded them all and watched them this afternoon, really enjoyed them. Some of the old footage showing train composition was good, showing prototypical short trains suitable for small layouts. And to finish the week, Julia Bradbury (mmmm ;)) railway walks!.

daitexas
02-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi - are there any models of these trains available? There's also the Snowdon mountain train and the Llanberis lake railway train (I know people who've worked on both these...)

christopherE
02-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Got up at the crack of dawn and watched all four
of them, back-to-back.
-
Absolutely excellent.
It may be a while, now, before we see the BBC
indulging us again in this way. Great footage.
-
I also very much enjoyed the series on Indian Hill
Railways, shown (and repeated) last year. I believe
that series is on a DVD from the beeb.

Chris

alfaz-di-pi
02-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi Chris, I note that you must be an early bird, as some of your posts are on, even before I am awake.
Albert.

daitexas
28-08-2013, 01:31 AM
It's a nice ride but not cheap. The views from Waunfawr through Rhyd-ddu to Beddgelert are out-of-this-world. :cool: