PDA

View Full Version : Digital Railway Modeller

KJH
08-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Has anyone tried the digital version of Railway Modeller on a 7" tablet? I buy the mag at my local newsagent so I can't download it myself without taking out a subscription.

I've looked at the free example on my computer but that version looks to be an exact copy of the magazine (slightly larger than A4) Does anyone know if a second version is produced for tablets like Model Railroader or MRH.
KJH

roger oldacre
10-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi KJH. I have received my first copy of Railway Modeller. Before it arrives you get a code number which lets you log in to back edition of mag.
When revuewing digital edition you can alter size which I believe is your question. At bottom of page there is a zoom function ,the one problem I found was the refresh rate, I think this is a bit slow,but this may be my bt line although I think my line is pretty fast. I forgot to mention I also use a ipad to view. Hope this helps By the way my April edition arrived on 7th march so you get first look. Roger oldacre.

KJH
11-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Yes I know you can zoom but that is going to be a bit of a pain on a 7" tablet. It looks like Railway Modeller can't be downloaded for off line viewing. Can you confirm this?

I'm also looking at the option of the digital version of British Railway Modelling and it can be downloaded for off line viewing on a PC ok. Just trying to figure out if the Andriod app also allows it. If so Railway Modeller might just miss out on a customer.
KJH

Abliyan
13-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Well i have not tried it ever. but as you saying about its features i seems to me very interesting so i have decided to purchase it. I am sure you guys also help me after i purchase the tablet.

KJH
13-03-2013, 11:03 PM
I have done a lot more research and from my point of view I think I will subscribe to the paper version of Railway Modeller for the following reasons.

Very little difference in price. Paper version AU$5-75 delivered against digital only version of AU$4-22 an issue.

Subscription of the paper version automatically gives me access to the digital version anyway.

Digital version can only be read on line (Can't be downloaded to my hard drive) so if I cancel my subscription I loose all the issues I have already paid for.

Same will happen if the company handling the digital subscriptions were to go out of business and how long will they continue to hold back issues anyway.

I can't read off line so I can't read while travelling on public transport or while on holidays etc unless I have WiFi access where I am.

All in all in my opinion there is a lot of room for improvement with digital editions. At the moment it seems to be all in the supplier's favour at the detriment of me the end user.
KJH