PDA

View Full Version : Disused stations- how do they make you feel?

daitexas
12-03-2013, 12:40 AM
How do you feel when you see pictures of disused stations? There's a good website out there if you google disused stations.

I feel very sad. Lately I've explored where all the stations used to be in the places I've lived and am absolutely shocked at the scale of the closures.

I find it very depressing that such pretty little stations have been replaced by supermarkets or roundabouts. :mad:

Many places are blighted by huge lorries turning when there's not really enough room - that's what the trains were for to carry all that stuff.

Seems there's plenty of money for all sorts of rubbish in society but not enough to keep these.

It's just awful seeing the pictures one decade apart after a closure. All that weed and rust. Such a terrible shame.

MATCH
12-03-2013, 07:52 AM
How do you feel when you see pictures of disused stations?

Living in the Midlands/Black Country I see Disused track, and stations, some of the track has been turned into foot/cycle paths, Wolverhampton low level station, which was derelict for years got turned into a Hotel/Bar/Restaurant. and numerous other stations along disused lines.

I can't help but think with the right Investment that the old railway lines, canals could be used for transporting heavy goods, I see old railway lines that have been tarmacked for use by walkers, and cyclists and think surely there must be a way of running electric trams trains similar to those used in airports for transporting luggage, their has to be a way of coming up with a "floating container" that could be used for transporting non-perishables along the canal network, what I see is so many possibilities in using old technology which with an update could be used to resolve many of our current transport problems.

jonsaint
12-03-2013, 08:36 AM
I agree with match. it must cost the rail companies a small fortune running all the dmu's with the cost of fuel, so why don't they re open the smaller branch lines and add a 3rd rail, as its cleaner and cheaper plus its also ideal for freight, then you might see industry building closer to the rail network.
I know back in the late 90's when they were building the metro between wolves and snow hill, it cost them a small fortune having to dig out some of the bridges and tunnels they filled in 20 years previous. I know that phase 2 of the metro to Dudley and beyond is under way, so even if they don't use the railways for trains, make good of them by running trams on it like they used to do in many cities and towns like Dudley and Wolverhampton back in the day.
I think that some of the unused stations still standing, hiding somewhere might be worth some serious money now, if the tracks were brought back to life, some of the station buildings might come under the listed buildings regulations because of age.

eberhardt
12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
You're all correct, these disused lines could be put back into use. If you know Manchester at all you will know the Metro system they have. They are currently expanding it and the latest run goes as far as Ashton under Lyme, from the city centre. If I catch the right train from Stoke to Piccadilly and use the Metro I can get to Bury market for 8.00.

daitexas
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I've cycled up and down a few disused lines but I feel all that trouble of building the line, bridges etc. has gone to such a waste. They were such cute little stations back in the day. Give me a train over buses and lorries any day.

silversurfer1947
12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Not strictly disused, the Portishead to Bristol line is in the process of being reopened to passenger traffic.

A brief history: The railway opened on 18th April 1867 as a broad gauge branch and was operated by the GWR.

The line was closed to passenger traffic in September 1964, and freight in 1981, then lay disused except for occasional steam specials, but in 2002 most of its length was reopened for freight use only.

Fortunately, they never got round to ripping up all the track.

Also, at a cost of 3.5 million, the Bluebell Line in Sussex will be reconnected to the mainline. all the track is laid. Apparently, the volunteers removed 100,000 tonnes on domestic waste from a cutting, which had obviously been used as landfill.

Not all doom and gloom.

alfaz-di-pi
12-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I have only travelled on the Severn rai;way a few times but I really do like the old stations, especially the country ones, and when you see so many people using the railways that have been reopened privately you wonder why they closed them in the first place. A lot of them now are used for recreation.
Albert.

jonsaint
12-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I used to work on the severn valley up to last year looking after the diesel locos at Kidderminster. out of em all tho my fav has got to be the class 37!

daitexas
12-03-2013, 06:11 PM
As a long term project I might try and recreate a disused line somewhere, got a couple of ideas in mind.

Paul Blackpool
12-03-2013, 06:49 PM
I must agree with your comment about the disused stations website Dai. I have been following it for years if the follwing link is the same one. It is one of my favourite websites.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/
By the way I have just been reading in March's Modern Railways that HS2 to Manchester is to terminate alongside Piccadily Station. Does this mean that they will used the old Mayfield site?
Does anyone know yet?

PteBurden
12-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I wish they'd reopen my local station, Fenton. Closed during the Beeching Cuts I believe, but i'd save us a lot of time and money on overpriced buses if we could just catch the train to Stoke Station. Wouldn't even need to be manned these days. Longton is just a bus shelter on a platform these days. So, why not Fenton? or Normacot? Useful potential transport links, and all they'd need is some concrete and a metal shelter.

daitexas
12-03-2013, 11:56 PM
I spoke to someone who remembers these stations before they were closed Beeching onwards. I asked why people didn't protest about this more etc. and he said in those days people either didn't know or didn't complain so much compared to today. Seems the politicians could just do what they want. Whereas today they pretend to listen just to say they have consulted then just do what they want anyway. Seems some things never change.

daitexas
12-03-2013, 11:59 PM
OK putting conspiracy hat on - do you think there are too many vested interests out there e.g. car industry, haulage, bus companies, road building companies etc. who have had their way on all this?

Dysonsphere
20-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I wish they'd reopen my local station, Fenton. Closed during the Beeching Cuts I believe, but i'd save us a lot of time and money on overpriced buses if we could just catch the train to Stoke Station. Wouldn't even need to be manned these days. Longton is just a bus shelter on a platform these days. So, why not Fenton? or Normacot? Useful potential transport links, and all they'd need is some concrete and a metal shelter.

So true I'm in Meir and I think that closed even earlier and dont get me started on the closing of the Loop Line.

moogpart
27-05-2013, 09:09 AM
@daitexas, post #13: I'm sure you are right.

I too feel sad at seeing old stations going into ruin and also some of the trackways where the earth has been remodelled to take the track. Roads today are so conjested it seems a waste to have these old tracks/works unused.