PDA

View Full Version : help please

reggie840
14-11-2009, 03:46 PM
just got a second hand hornby model railway, but dont know how to set up electrics to get it working, can anyone give me any advice please

hairyhandedfool
17-11-2009, 12:42 PM
In this post I make no assumptions about you or your knowledge, it is, if you like, back to basics.

You need to connect to two wires from the controller to the track. The easiest way to do this is through a 'power clip' (click here) (http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=6939).

The wires from the controller should have metal ends, these slot into the holes on the power clip. Each piece of track (except short straights and half curves) has a small gap between the metal rail and the plastic 'sleeper' at one end where the power clip can be located, be gentle with it, it can break quite easily.

Make sure the track and train wheels (especially on the locomotive) are clean if you have connected it and it doesn't work. I do not believe secondhand track is actually all that good and would suggest buying some new track, I realise this is an expensive approach, but your enjoyment would be better and if you bought a set, all you need to know will be with it.

Simon
18-11-2009, 12:04 PM
although the power clip is the simplist way to do it, i never use one. mostly because i broke them all to often :). i usualy get two bits of simple rubber coverd wire, strip the rubber off the ends, and carefuly slot them into the slots in the track where the powr clip would go. then fix them up to the transformers DC 'screws' (or what ever your controler has). if your slaping the track down onto a baseboard you can drill two holes each side of the track for the wires to come up though. one note though is to make sure that you connect it to the mainline. not a sideing. due to the way points work. it helps to solder the wires in place, but you dont need to they tend to stay there on there own accord i find.

Flashbang
18-11-2009, 03:34 PM
just got a second hand hornby model railway, but dont know how to set up electrics to get it working, can anyone give me any advice please

Hi
Welcome to the forum. :)
Don't be worried by model railway electrics. Just take it step by step.
If you make a mistake its not the end and after all as its extra low voltage (12 volts nominally), so no real harm should be done!

Always ensure any mains voltages are kept off the layout. Use whenever possible wall socket plug in power supplies that convert safely the 230 volt mains (in the UK) to a safe extra low voltage. Often these have a16 volt ac output.
There are some controllers that have to have a mains lead to power them - Hornby HM2000 and the older H & M units etc. If you use these then ensure the actual mains cable to the controller is always in good condition. If it's damaged or frayed etc do not use it and get a professional repair undertaken.

Your controller will often have two sets of outputs (some have three!) One is the 12 volt dc controlled output fed via the controllers knob and direction switch. The other normally being a 16 volt ac uncontrolled output for feeding things like electric point motors or other uses such as feeding layout lighting etc.
You may have noted I said some have three outputs. Here the third is often a 12 volt dc uncontrolled supply for feeding a second non mains powered controller or again lighting etc. Of course if the controller has two or more knobs then each knob will have its own pair of controlled output terminals.

From the pair of controlled output terminals two wires are run out to feed the appropriate rails.

Some basic and more advanced wiring etc is shown on this site which may help you further? http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm

Simon
18-11-2009, 04:17 PM
yes it is quite safe. i used to lick the rails when i was younger!, which may explain a thing or two...