PDA

View Full Version : Track cleaning

Richie
07-02-2009, 12:27 AM
What is the best way of cleaning track? Mine needs doing but not sure what the best method is.

TWICK9
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
What is the best way of cleaning track? Mine needs doing but not sure what the best method is.

Hi Richie, I bought one of the Tomix track cleaners that Dapol now do, Ive had it a year or so and only used it once, I had to cut down the switch on the top a bit to allow it to go under my bridges but it works well, For some reason my track stays pretty clean even though its out in the garage so I occasionally go over the rails with a Peco track rubber. Brian

hairyhandedfool
11-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I clean my track with the Gaugemaster track rubber (4.50 from Gaugemaster, 3.50 in Modelzone!), but it is a bit labour intensive and I suspect I should get one of those Dapol cleaner things.

Richie
12-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Dapol track cleaner it is then. Thanks :)

Richie
01-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Just ordered it with the DCC conversion kit. I will report here on it once it arrives and I have used it.

nickinwestwales
09-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Now heres a topic close to my heart:-now my layout is a multi layered affair with quite a lot of hidden track....have spent a lot of this winter tearing out steel rail and replacing with N/S-but only in the underground-the visible sections are all heavily ballasted in ( and believe me,that was a job and a half)-I use a power sander to keep the visible sections clean (code 100 gradually becoming code 75...) Since the layout resides in a wooden shed at the end of the garden I figure this is unavoidable...........Have tried various track rubbers,but they all seem to leave a residue on the rails.
Have yet to have an operating session this year but have great hopes for the N/S-the steel I can just give a quick wipe with the sander and good to go-would put up a few pix if I knew how-will report back when I have more
ATB

Nick