Model Railway Forum

Model Railway Forum (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Product Review (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Hornby R3284 TTS 'Flying Scotsman' (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12156)

4VEP 11-07-2017 08:42 PM

Hornby R3284 TTS 'Flying Scotsman'

If you don't happen to have any 'Flying Scotsman' model a TTS sound version (DCC fitted) is available at discount for 85.

This loco has been reviewed by 'IC82' on YouTube. All the available sounds are demonstrated. Watch this video to decide whether this loco is for you.

Don't let the 'Railroad' designation put you off - it's as good a Flying Scotsman as any previous model.

This model has flanges on all driving wheels, but no flange on the pony wheel, presumably to allow the model to take train set curves. I found this wheel, which is metal, caused a short on DCC crossing a 2nd radius crossover, but apart from that this loco is a great deal of fun. You can blow the guard's whistle, slam the doors, hiss the steam before setting off. Then you can have wheel slip and faster chuff chuff as you go off.

The loco has realistic accelleration and braking and operation was smooth out of the box.

I found it would haul five carriages round my layout quite confortably. The loco is quite heavy, but the tender is light. The weight of the loco ensures it operates reliably. The loco and tender are permanently coupled, but can be separated for maintenance.

This loco is for DCC users only. (It runs under DC, but no sound effects can be activated).

Rog (RJ) 11-07-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4VEP (Post 134364)
If you don't happen to have any 'Flying Scotsman' model a TTS sound version (DCC fitted) is available at discount for 85.

Where from?

Not expected until October on the Hornby site.

Walkingthedog 11-07-2017 09:19 PM

Hattons have more than 10 in stock for 85.

It's a good price for DC users as well 4VEP, no sound on DC is a big bonus as far as I'm concerned. :D

Footplate1947 12-07-2017 10:28 AM

Non Of my Scotsman's make any noise. It's heaven................John

4VEP 12-07-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Footplate1947 (Post 134398)
Non Of my Scotsman's make any noise. It's heaven................John

F1 turns the sound effects on or off. You don't have to use all the sound effects. You can programme it so the whistle blows approaching a tunnel for instance.

Walkingthedog 12-07-2017 10:36 AM

Ooh deep joy. :D

Mr Bones 12-07-2017 03:35 PM

Thanks for the review Frederick. It sounds (no pun intended) like a lovely loco. Might well treat myself at some point.

Walkingthedog 12-07-2017 04:19 PM

Great value. A posher version comes out later in the year, why bother?

Footplate1947 12-07-2017 05:15 PM

I have often wondered why Hornby do so many versions of Scotsmans. They must have brought out more versions of Scotsmans than MK have produced 13amp plugs. Can think of lot of other locos other than Scoty's they could produce. Surley that would make the range more interesting for everybody.
.....................John

4VEP 12-07-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Footplate1947 (Post 134464)
I have often wondered why Hornby do so many versions of Scotsmans. They must have brought out more versions of Scotsmans than MK have produced 13amp plugs. Can think of lot of other locos other than Scoty's they could produce. Surley that would make the range more interesting for everybody.
.....................John

This is Hornby's bestselling loco. The story of Alan Pegler and how he went bankrupt after purchasing the Flying Scotman has been told many times. This is a loco which Pegler made famous and now it is famous for being famous. This accolade is not without its critics, but you can't help loving the Flying Scotsman - it is such a romantic story. I deliberately didn't buy one because I thought it was hackneyed, but I was given one as a birthday surprise. This is my first TTS loco.

I think it makes a good layout test loco. Loads of things for DCC users to experiment with.