Model Railway Forum

Model Railway Forum (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   On The Workbench (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Narrow wheel flanges on coaches and waggons (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13861)

Mixed Signals 14-04-2018 09:16 PM

Narrow wheel flanges on coaches and waggons

Now I'm testing the track and running trains I'm getting a few derails. The track is not perfect yet, however most the derails are on wagons and coaches that appear to have shallower wheels.

Hopper type wagons and the Flying Scotsman coaches derail all the time and have these wheels.

I have a fair bit of Triang stock and didn't expect that to run due to the larger wheel cones and flanges.

However I thought modern stock would be okay. Is the best solution to change the wheels.

Other stock without these shallow wheels rarely derail.

Walkingthedog 14-04-2018 09:27 PM

Shallow flanges are better. If they are derailing check your track not the wheels.

Mixed Signals 14-04-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingthedog (Post 155461)
Shallow flanges are better. If they are derailing check your track not the wheels.

Hmm, yes could be some distortion of the rails. Derails are on curves so might make or buy a track spacer to see if the rail gaps vary.

If there's an issue, the bigger wheels may be coping with it I suppose.

Thanks!

Walkingthedog 14-04-2018 09:47 PM

Are the curves joined squarely and is the track perfectly flat.

Mixed Signals 14-04-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingthedog (Post 155467)
Are the curves joined squarely and is the track perfectly flat.

The curves are square but there's some slight variation in height as the tracks loose at the moment. I think the baseboard joins are possibly responsible for it.

Walkingthedog 14-04-2018 10:13 PM

For perfect running everything needs to be perfectly flat and fixed firmly down.

LC&DR 15-04-2018 12:06 PM

Something I tended to do when setting up a 'loose laid' track layout for when the grand kids are coming is join the odd length with one fishplate (rail joiner) holding one of the rails but the other not. This leaves a 'bump' which is not easily visible by eye but will derail a train. So I now run my finger across each joint and if I can feel it pull the track pieces apart and I re-make the joint. The old eyes are not always a reliable guide, but I can still use my finger tips! :o

Chops 15-04-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixed Signals (Post 155470)
The curves are square but there's some slight variation in height as the tracks loose at the moment. I think the baseboard joins are possibly responsible for it.

These slight variations from the baseboard have given me much trouble.
The good news is that getting the legs right, by use of adjustable T nut
levelers corrected the issues. Failing that, one can use a thin shim of
any handy material. Also, getting down and sighting along the track
like a rifle is effective at identifying variations. Video application using
a smart phone can also bring out variations in high relief.

Mixed Signals 15-04-2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC&DR (Post 155499)
Something I tended to do when setting up a 'loose laid' track layout for when the grand kids are coming is join the odd length with one fishplate (rail joiner) holding one of the rails but the other not. This leaves a 'bump' which is not easily visible by eye but will derail a train. So I now run my finger across each joint and if I can feel it pull the track pieces apart and I re-make the joint. The old eyes are not always a reliable guide, but I can still use my finger tips! :o

Good tip. Will remember that.

Mixed Signals 15-04-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops (Post 155570)
These slight variations from the baseboard have given me much trouble.
The good news is that getting the legs right, by use of adjustable T nut
levelers corrected the issues. Failing that, one can use a thin shim of
any handy material. Also, getting down and sighting along the track
like a rifle is effective at identifying variations. Video application using
a smart phone can also bring out variations in high relief.

Thank you. Will take all these tips on board.

I'm a little disappointed if that does turn out to be the problem because I did take a lot of time in ensuring consistency in the bench heights.

I'm going to blame a sloping floor lol.