Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #51
Wiltshiresaint

Wiltshiresaint is on a distinguished road

That looks very good to my untutored eye Carl, and your layout plan is mighty impressive.

One question (and definitely not a criticism). Have you got big enough holes in the horizontal support joists for any wiring/signalling paraphernalia to pass through easily?

Great start, and I'll be watching this thread with interest Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #52
Carl L

Carl L is on a distinguished road
Default Neptune Street

The track laying has finally commenced with the lowest level running tracks down first.

On the left is the goods loop which will give access to the goods yard on the left hand side of the shed. The other two tracks are the up and down running lines which will form the looped 8 continuous run. Realising that I could get into the yard using the loop but was struggling to get trains back out, I have changed the this to bi-directional running and added a crossover to give access to the track on the right.

The gradient at the far end has worked out about 1/50 and the minimum radius is 24", hopefully this won't create too many issues.

The stock is old Hornby stuff from the 70's and has been used to gauge clearances.

I think it's going to be some time before I 'drive the last spike', but it's a start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.JPG (892.6 KB, 55 views)
Carl L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #53
Carl L

Default Neptune Street

Time for an update.

We'll progress has been slow, a lot slower that I imagined.

The two running lines and goods loop have been extended round to the LHS of the shed on a steady incline. Left to right it's a passing loop, up and down running lines, and goods loop which will end in a short head shunt. The running lines will continue round to the near end of the shed to cross a hinged section and back round to the RHS on the upper level, the shed area.

Neptune Street goods yard has been laid, a ten road yard, five either side of a central point complex. Perhaps not prototypical, but it'll make for an interesting shunting puzzle forming goods trains and it avoids the sort of ladder of ever shortening sidings (if that's the right description).

I've made a start on the electrics (this is new to me), point motors are fixed and wired on the loops and running lines and droppers installed. Next it's the goods yard for the same treatement.

More to follow......sometime!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0461.jpg (614.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0462.jpg (628.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2896.JPG (870.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #54
Pjlons83

Pjlons83 is on a distinguished road

Great looking project (and shed). Iíll be watching this with interest.
Pjlons83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #55
Carl L

Default Neptune Street

Time for a further update;

Slow progress has continued but not without it's problems, which I'll post in the Track Design Section.

The view from the door end of the shed with the lift out section and the upper level baseboards in place. The far end upper level will be the shed area around a turntable, behind where the steps are, whereas the right hand side, where the tracks are will be the shed yard, ash pits, coaling etc. The lower running tracks on the right still need to be brought out onto the lift out section and across. They will run up the far left hand side of the shed and eventually link up with the upper tracks on the right to form the 'folded eight'.

Just a couple of views of the beginning of the descent or end of the ascent, dependant on how you look at it, at the point it meets the lift out section. It was all going to plan until issues with curved track.

Forum members advice and a forthcoming weeks holiday should hopefully see further progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3291.JPG (750.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3187.JPG (752.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3186.JPG (730.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #56
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Coming along nicely.
Old 13-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #57
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

Superb epic. Would love to see some video, if you fit it in.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #58
Carl L

Default Neptune Street

As a result of sound advice provided by forum members, the track on the lift out section has now been completed. The curved tracks have been secured either side of the 'gaps' by soldering onto copper clad pcb. The soldering is perhaps a little heavy but will be disguised by occupation crossings or something similar. I still have a little packing to do on the lower two tracks.

I need to review the method used to secure the section in place, simple brass door bolts being a little too simple; they have just too much play, allowing the section to be moved by perhaps one mm, resulting in derailments. I need something with no play at all.

The last image shows the level yard, with running lines for the double track looped eight climbing in opposite directions. It tends to have the effect of making the gradients look more severe than they are, the most severe is the one at the rear which is 1in 40. Progress will now be made on the top section, the shed and shed yard, the main focus of the layout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3409.JPG (739.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3378.jpg (510.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3410.jpg (463.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #59
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Nice work Carl, must have been good advice.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #60
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I used far too much solder to fix the rails to the copper, just to be sure.