Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 26-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #21
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of time to buy locos. Good idea to get what you have to work first. Locos and stock can be bought quite reasonably secondhand. It is good if you can see them running before you buy. That way you can make sure they work.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #22
Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncomin5torm View Post
Hi guys, as I'm on a tighter budget than I would like to be I am looking into 2nd hand and budget options for new loco's.

What is your thoughts on it?
I've bought used from ebay and in person with private sales. I've managed to get all of them working with basic servicing and some minor repairs. However, I could just have been lucky by other members experiences.

I cannot yet vouch for how long they will last against new as just starting out with the hobby.

Try dipping your toe into the used market and see how it goes.
Mixed Signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #23
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Like I've said a dozen times before, buying on eBay doesn't have to be hit and miss. Check out the seller's feedback and avoid anyone with a low number of sales or a poor satisfaction percentage. READ the reviews too for signs of buyer dissatisfaction. If all else fails and you get a dud that does not comply with the seller's description Paypal will sort out a refund for you.
Old 27-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #24
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncomin5torm View Post
Hi guys, as I'm on a tighter budget than I would like to be I am looking into 2nd hand and budget options for new loco's.

What is your thoughts on it?
Nothing wrong with second hand after all even new ones are second hand after you have used them don't they.
I have bought loads of second hand or used locos on ebay over the years.
Have mad few mistakes but have bought more good ones than bad. Have had some surprises as well with them being better that they looked in the pictures. I have bought some very good buys from Hattons so I would have a look at Hattons when looking. Of course you can find bargains anywhere from time to time so just keep your eyes open is the best idea.
John
Old 27-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #25
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Probably to best to decide where the layout is in the country as that will affect the loco choice, make a list of locos that fit in well and keep on eye on sale offers as well as second hand. Off ebay I picked up a second hand current model (ie not split chassis) Bachmann 03 which had Kadee couplings fitted (which I use) and (not listed in the description) had a 6 pin decoder fitted - was part of a huge collection being sold by a relative who obviously was not entirely on the ball. Looking for models which have been renumbered or slightly modified can result in some good bargains; a Hornby M7 (the 21st century model not the old Triang one) renumbered as ex Caledonian loco was a 35 purchase, the renumbering etc had simply been undertaken by painting over the originals and was easily removed. The one bit of damage was that the chimney had been attacked so a brass replacement was fitted.

Last edited by Mike Parkes; 27-03-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #26
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

Hi again.
I have said I am going to wait and get some track down and wait before I go down the loco route.

That being said I have been keeping my eye on eBay and I think I found a little gem.
What do you guys think of a Bachmann 3mt class early br livery and manufacturer weathered.
The only defect is on rear buffer beam, the left hand buffee has been repaired.
Seller has posted a video on YouTube of it running as well.

The price was 65 starting bid but it never sold, it's now at 55 I am quite taken with it.
Think that's reasonable for it? The damage doesn't bother me. I only ask about price because I'm quite taken with it and it would be perfect for the type of loco I want on my layout. I'm just not sure as can pick up an almost new one on Hatton for 30 more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180331-080108.jpg (7.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 31-03-2018 at 08:02 AM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #27
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Does the blurb say how this one runs? R-
Old 31-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #28
oncomin5torm

In this YouTube link it shows the loco running.

https://youtu.be/RJ5m014q2DE
Old 31-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #29
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Sounds fine and looks as though it accelerates/decelerates evenly - no lurching. Should be a good buy. R-
Old 31-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #30
oncomin5torm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
Sounds fine and looks as though it accelerates/decelerates evenly - no lurching. Should be a good buy. R-
I'm thinking of emailing an offering 50 to the seller, postage is 11 so I think that's reasonable. It's on auction right now but for the right price I think they could be able to do a deal.