Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Forum Information > The Welcome Forum

The Welcome Forum Just joined, say hello in here!

Old 25-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

I can't help you with the choice between DCC or DC, but can say welcome to a great forum!
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Stuart/Bob(?) Welcome to a great forum - lots of help, information and fun - not necessarily in that order! BB
Old 25-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #13
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum - lots of real-world advice here. I went for DCC three years ago as I thought it would make the wiring simpler and I could also add sound to my locos in time.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #14
Maz066

Maz066 is on a distinguished road

I have to say I love the idea of sound . It brings my layout alive
Old 26-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #15
AltcarB0B

AltcarB0B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
Welcome to the forum - lots of real-world advice here. I went for DCC three years ago as I thought it would make the wiring simpler and I could also add sound to my locos in time.
Did it simplify things. Not sure about sounds but I would like to future proof myself nothing worse than having to rip up track and buildings to restart something a bit of pre-planning could have avoided. I had this happen to me when I was a teenager and I built a layout with a friend. It was only when we started to run it properly we realised points at the back were almost completely innacessible and we had to motorise them. Took me a weekend to motorise one point that was on top of a framing joist tucked right up against a chimney.
AltcarB0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

I kept my wiring very simple and use wire in tube. I also went insulfrog (shock, horror). However, up to now I've had no problems even with short wheelbase locos. I did lay track and points very carefully and installed droppers everywhere. I don't want to be critical but how many times have I been to shows and even those with live frog points have had to give a loco a shove. Admittedly, live frogs do look better. I suppose its each to their own. I certainly felt that DCC was a way of future proofing.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
SteamnutKR

SteamnutKR is on a distinguished road

Hello Bob (or Stuart) & welcome. Sounds as if you got somewhere 25 years ago. My adice would be to start from a place that you know. If you've got a couple of Kits (or completed Locos) then use that as your starting place. I would; but then, I'm no electronics wizard!
SteamnutKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #18
AltcarB0B

AltcarB0B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamnutKR View Post
Hello Bob (or Stuart) & welcome. Sounds as if you got somewhere 25 years ago. My adice would be to start from a place that you know. If you've got a couple of Kits (or completed Locos) then use that as your starting place. I would; but then, I'm no electronics wizard!
Thanks Steamnut I have had a good look at the kit built locos I have and dont think they are up to modern standards. They will probably go in a case and be lookers not runners.

My forum name comes from the Altcar Bob train which ran just a few miles away from my home.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060214...ltcarbob.shtml

Last edited by AltcarB0B; 28-07-2018 at 06:19 PM.
AltcarB0B is offline   Reply With Quote