Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 13-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
samavenell

samavenell is on a distinguished road
Default Graham Farish Shunter Stopping

Hi I have a Graham Farish Class 08 Shunter which is relatively new. I use insulfrog points on my layout but whenever the shunter goes over them it stops on the plastic frog. Can anyone help?
samavenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

The GF class 08 was the only N gauge loco that I've had. Mine was the older type from around 20 years ago.
Regarding the loco stopping on the insulated frog. While this is a common issue with insulated frog points, you can do something to ensure it is not an issue with the loco itself. Use wires from the controller direct to the loco wheels. Carefully position the loco so it is upsidown to do this.
Now do a check to make sure the loco works when power is applied to the front pair of wheels, and then do the same for the rear pair of wheels. I'm not sure if there are pickups on the centre pair of wheels, but the outer wheels should collect current. Gently apply sideways pressure with the wires on the wheels so you can simulate as if the loco is taking a corner, that the loco pickups do touch as they are supposed to.

This quick check shows if your loco is working OK. Of corse, one needs to ensure the wheels are clean as current collection and dirty wheels just dont work well together!

Sometimes on points with a wider dead frog, by using a point with a shorter dead frog (Even if one has a point from the set track range) should solve the problem.

Even with 00 gauge I used to have the odd loco which needed a slight boost of current to clear the dead frog when shunting on the layout. DCC makes the issue worse if the decoder has inertia as the loco will stall and then start the inertia again as if it is starting from a stationary position. DC has no issues in this way but it still needs the current to pass through the track and reach the loco!

The ultimate solution is to fit electrofrog points though the wiring of the layout is a little more complex. It is not too difficult that the average person can't overcome. While this is the ultimate solution it still does not mean it is an excuse not to have the locos wheel pickups working correctly. It just means that if a loco does have a little dirt on a pickup then it is less likely to stall the loco if using electrofrog points.
I hope this info helps. I'm saying what I say as general advice rather then having a modern class 08 so I can visually see the type of pickups they use. The older ones used wiper pickups at the end wheels if I remember correctly though it was back in the early 1990's when I had one, so I'm going by memory.

Just a quick edit. Check also the point itself is working correctly and the current is being transferred through the point blades and reaching the track the other side of the frog as it could be a point issue.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 13-12-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

Evening. I too use insulfrog points but in OO gauge. The advice above is very sound. On my layout I soldered droppers on every piece of track including the two point rails. I keep everything clean and up to now have had no problems. Maybe its harder to achieve in N gauge. Good luck - I hope you find a solution.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

The Farish 08 is a nightmare on insulfrogs and made worse if the point is not perfectly flat. The wheelbase is so short that one wheel on the plastic frog and a loss of contact (for any reason) to the other wheels on that side and it will stop dead - particularly at shunting speeds.
You have a choice, sell the loco or upgrade the areas where it operates to electrofrog with plenty of droppers as already suggested.

I sold mine.
Old 13-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not have the 08 coupled to a brake van so the brake van can be converted to act as extra pickups for the loco?
One could even run two 08's together as a coupled pair so they both share pickups between them.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 13-12-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

That's what I do MG. Any ultra short loco gets a permanent wagon attached.
Old 13-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
Paul-H

Paul-H is on a distinguished road

For some reason the Farish 08 is a pain on the frogs, mine does it on electrofrog points as well, but all my Farish tank engines go over them fine.

I wonder if the 08 is just too light, will have to weigh it and the tank engines to see how much lighter it is.
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
samavenell

samavenell is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help I will try this
samavenell is offline   Reply With Quote