Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 06-02-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
Bossy

Bossy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy z21 short reset

Hi, I have replaced my old 10yr old Prodigy 2 equipment with a z21 unit. Very happy however one issue I don't like is the short reset.
With the prodigy I bought a short reset circuit board from the states that goes between base power feed and track (not sure correct name) basically when a short occurs it resets and avoid the base unit getting an error code and having to switch off/back on (prodigy unit)... I have now found that this board does not work with the z21 and I have to press the reset button and then go back on all the ipad controller programmes etc. Locos stop and sound locos have to be restarted which is annoying (especially with my bad track).......
Does anyone know any short reset board or anything that works with the z21 or am I stuffed.....?
Also not sure if these is a way to get sound locos back to a previous state without starting them all up etc etc.

Thanks for any help
Bossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

When I first glanced at your post I thought you needed a PSX-1 circuit breaker but it looks like that is what you already have. If it is another make then perhaps change it to a PSX-1. Other than that I can only suggest you check all your jumper settings specifically the current settings specially if there is a difference between the output of the z21 compared to the Prodigy.

PSX manual here http://www.dccspecialties.com/products/pdf/man_psx1.pdf

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

It reads as though your existing cut-out is operating at the same or a higher current trip threshold than the base unit is at. examples... Cut-out set to 3.0Amp DCC base unit rated 2.0Amp. Or the same... Cut-out 3.0Amp DCC system 3.0Amp

If it has user adjustable settings (often by jumpers being preposition on pins on the circuit board) try a lower trip threshold. If its fixed then you would have to obtain one that trips at below the rating of your command station.
The PSX-1 is a great item and is adjustable too.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Bossy

thanks for the advice spot on. I checked the make I have and its the OnGuard which is 4A so great with the 5A prodigy but the z21 is rated at 3amp! Makes sense now... cheers

Last edited by Bossy; 07-02-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 16-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
Bossy

Update got the PSX1. Unfortunately the Roco z21 still shorts and you get a red light. tried on length of track not tried on main layout yet. Changed the CV to1.27 and the board tripped out with one old Cl25 with a 3.5 loksound when held stationary so not chance its working with 5 sound locos running. It did reset but as soon as any load on loco it tripped again... so changed CV to 02 to get 2.7am it did not trip but gave red button on base unit. I will add that I could reset on ipad which I could not do before :-). Not sure where to go now will have to try on main layout..... did not try actual board jumpers to get the 1.27amp but I expect would get same results. Not sure if anyone has one working?

Last edited by Bossy; 16-02-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 16-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Flashbang
Administrator

Hi
Personally I would leave CVs alone at default and add a jumper from J6-1 to J6-2.
Rest the PSX-1 back to manufactured defaults then set jumper as above and test unit.

From the manual.... CV63 initiates a PSX Factory Reset.
• Using the Program On Main programing mode of your DCC system, set CV63=42.
• You will see D6 flash.
• After D6 flashes, all CVs and addresses are returned to their original factory
values.
• The CV63 default is 0. Setting CV63=42 will not change the CV value, but it will
reset the PSX.

Dont forget all CV alterations to the PSX1 should be carried out with the unit connected to the main DCC bus pair and use PoM not a programming track setting or output.
Old 16-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Bossy

Thanks just reset and connected pin 1 to 2. However having 2 loksound v3.5 on a test length of rail if I power up 1 unit and run it into the buffers of the other the PSX1 shorts and keeps resetting in a cycle any small load on either loco I hold it back on power the board trips... same issue when I used the CV settings 1.27ap but did stop when changing to 2.70amp but that means the main z21 unit trips.... looks like I have run out of options

Last edited by Bossy; 16-02-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 17-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Flashbang
Administrator

You cant "hold back power" as per a DC layout. DCC provides full power to all rails all the time, regardless of the throttle setting being at zero speed or maximum speed.

If two sound fitted locos are drawing more than 1.27Amp in total and they are N or OO/HO scale you have a problem with one or both locos. No sound loco should consume more than around 500ma (1/2 Amp) total and possibly less.

Can the Z21 measure DCC current? If so, see whats being drawn from the base unit to rails.

Is there a track feeding problems causing the excessive power consumption? Possibly an IRJ being crossed by the locos wheels and the opposing rails are at opposite polarity to each other? Thereby causing a short??

Finally if none of the above, have you tried the jumpers set to 2.7Amp or only via CV setting? If only CV try the jumpers.
Old 17-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Bossy

hi was finding any loco that needed to pull any weight shorted the unit z21 does monitor and it was only 400-600amp. set it now to 2.7amp with CV's and it runs fine. if a loco snags a point it does fault but now lets me reset on ipad rather that main box. Also when putting locos on track and shorts this actually appears to work trips and comes back on so it looks like minor shorts it will cover. Overall not 100% but better than without.

Ran on layout PSX now set at 3.8amp above the z21 to stop getting shorts every couple of mins .. Now cant run old CL57 Bachmann loco it keeps shorting out and resetting and the PSX is set at default settings. What causes a loco to do this? plan to set up another topic.

Last edited by Bossy; 18-02-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 15-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
Bossy

Please see my other post solved PSX1 CV 55 , 65 settings and z21 software, standard joint signal output not just DCC and cut out timing