Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
and there is now no need to worry about the length of train across the reverse loop.

Hope this might be helpful for others.........Richard
unless it can catch its own tail on a p
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
Hound Dog

Hound Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
A nice simple idea HD. How do you hold the tiny piece of cut rail in place?

The circumference of 2nd radius for a full loop is roughly 2.7 Mtrs. That's a long train even in OO! If not a full loop you can simply extend the IRJs out further even if this involves having other lines coming into the loop. Just fit more IRJs at every entrance or exit place.

There is no limit to the length of a reverse loop if long runs are needed then perhaps consider installing a sub bus pair of wires connecting the the RLM output and tap off this to feed the loops rails as required.
Thanks FB........the small track section spans two full sleepers + the IRJ and this seems to hold it in place.........I might add some silicone filler at the cut and once I ballast I think it will be quite permanent.

My reverse section is only 540mm long between the IRJ's guarding adjacent points so well within the length of even a very modest train, hence the need to find a suitable solution.
Hound Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Any chance of a track plan as a reverse loop that small is difficult to visualise.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
Hound Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Any chance of a track plan as a reverse loop that small is difficult to visualise.
Steve - believe me it is real......see attached extract from my layout track plan with reverse section in orange and adjacent lift out section in black highlighted which was one of the main reasons I didn't extend the reverse section further.........hope this makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reverse loop plan.JPG (50.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Hound Dog; 09-02-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #15
Steve M
Contrarian

Yes I can see what you mean. I think I would have treated the whole loop in the middle as a totally separate area by adding IRJs at the crossover, the exit of the two points in the bottom right and the two tracks leading from the curved point at the top. Treating it separately like that would allow the entire section to be fed and switched via a reverse module like the PSX-AR. Definitely no worry about train lengths then.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #16
Hound Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Yes I can see what you mean. I think I would have treated the whole loop in the middle as a totally separate area by adding IRJs at the crossover, the exit of the two points in the bottom right and the two tracks leading from the curved point at the top. Treating it separately like that would allow the entire section to be fed and switched via a reverse module like the PSX-AR. Definitely no worry about train lengths then.
Steve - I am sure what you propose is definitely a more thorough and professional solution, but as a "complete newbie" at the time I created this reverse section, and one who is now only slowly maturing to just "newbie" status, I can safely say that was and still is beyond my limited knowledge base and capabilities..........something to perhaps aspire to if and when I ever decide to update my as yet incomplete layout.

Thanks for your feedback and interest - Richard.

Last edited by Hound Dog; 09-02-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
Steve M
Contrarian

I agree HD, it's always best to stick to what you know you can achieve when starting out and as you know S much of this hobby is about acquiring knowledge that may be handy later on.
Just bear my suggestion in mind for 'Mk.2' or if you find any operating issues.