Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 14-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
rynd2it

rynd2it is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 009 gradients

Hi,

Has anyone any data on the maximum gradients that could be expected to work on an 009 layout? The gradient would be on a curve of approx 10" radius.

Thanks

David
rynd2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

This very much depends on the locomotive and what it is pulling. When I had H0e which is the european version of 009 and they were good at climbing. The less gradient the more you are going to pull. A safe bet is to have the loco gradient to clear its own height in two yards length or more, which should cater for most applications.
Buy a budget loco (Secondhand if you know it works and is cheaper), a couple of track lengths and a few wagons to do a test. I had a loco go up its own height in just a yard length but dont expect them to pull anything behind with such a steep gradient.

I only had this gauge and scale for a few years and never had the locos or stock running other then testing. I later gave them to a friend as I moved up a scale as it was far easier to scratchbuild in 7mm scale 0-16.5 and cheaper too as 00 gauge spares for loco and rolling stock chassis are plentiful. They dont climb as well as 009 in comparison, but it is easier on the eyes and patience in this scale!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
rynd2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
This very much depends on the locomotive and what it is pulling. When I had H0e which is the european version of 009 and they were good at climbing. The less gradient the more you are going to pull. A safe bet is to have the loco gradient to clear its own height in two yards length or more, which should cater for most applications.
Buy a budget loco (Secondhand if you know it works and is cheaper), a couple of track lengths and a few wagons to do a test. I had a loco go up its own height in just a yard length but dont expect them to pull anything behind with such a steep gradient.

I only had this gauge and scale for a few years and never had the locos or stock running other then testing. I later gave them to a friend as I moved up a scale as it was far easier to scratchbuild in 7mm scale 0-16.5 and cheaper too as 00 gauge spares for loco and rolling stock chassis are plentiful. They dont climb as well as 009 in comparison, but it is easier on the eyes and patience in this scale!
Thanks for that, kind of confirms what I am expecting as it relates closely to about 1-in-36. We do plan on performing a test with existing stock.

Cheers

David

p.s. I agree on the sizes for 009, my next (personal) project looks like being O-16.5
Old 14-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynd2it View Post
Thanks for that, kind of confirms what I am expecting as it relates closely to about 1-in-36. We do plan on performing a test with existing stock.

Cheers

David

p.s. I agree on the sizes for 009, my next (personal) project looks like being O-16.5
I hope you have every success in both scales. After trying 0-16.5 I've found I really love it.
Old 28-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
rynd2it

Quote:

Cheers

David
UPDATE

We ran a test with a 6' length of wood and some 009 track - loco easily ran up a 1-in-12 slope starting & stopping with no issues. Which is great news as we can now confidently build the slope about 1-in-20 to give the height and visual effect we want.

Cheers

David
Old 29-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
UPDATE

We ran a test with a 6' length of wood and some 009 track - loco easily ran up a 1-in-12 slope starting & stopping with no issues. Which is great news as we can now confidently build the slope about 1-in-20 to give the height and visual effect we want.

Cheers

David
The loco might get up but hauling a load of wagons may be another matter.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
rynd2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parkes View Post
The loco might get up but hauling a load of wagons may be another matter.
Agreed, but on this layout the maximum train would be a loco and two small coaches and that works fine. It's a disused quarry and now a preserved railway with a castle and the old mine workings to visit.

Thanks

David
Old 29-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Mountain Goat

Ooh. Which loco did you get? Glad the trials worked well.
Old 29-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
rynd2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Ooh. Which loco did you get? Glad the trials worked well.
The test was done using an 'N' gauge diesel shunter, not sure what else the other team members are bringing to it. We won't finalise the gradient until we've done some more tests