Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Diesel74

Diesel74 is on a distinguished road
Default Pros and cons of mixing and matching set track and streamline

Presuming I connect Streamline points to each other, and, separately, connect Settrack or Hornby points to one another, is there any good reason I can't have a layout with Streamline and Settrack?
Apologies if this has been asked before. I've used the search function on here, and Googled, but most answers come down to which is best.
Diesel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I mix both. I just use what I need where I need it. I only use Peco. Not keen on Hornby. All of my main line uses streamline points and siding set track, takes up less room.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Steve M
Monkey Puzzler

Steve M is on a distinguished road

No reason at all why you shouldn't mix them but it will come down to whether it a) looks right and b) does it all work.
Personally, I wouldn't mix track from different manufacturers and some longer locos may struggle to negotiate Setrack points as they run to a tighter radius.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
Southernfan

Southernfan is on a distinguished road

I have used streamline and set track together, using set track where it is more convenient
keeping stream line points for the main line and only using set track points where only shunting locos would be used, there by using up most of my track and saving on cash. I also have mixed Hornby and Peco together. although I prefer Peco I would not not use a piece of Hornby track if it suited my needs
Southernfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Paul1066

Paul1066 is on a distinguished road

I think I'm right in saying this, streamline points work on the basis of having a double line at 50mm centre to centre and setrack points at 67mm centre to centre - the upshot is if you have streamline points and a double line at 50mm centres, you have to increase the track spacing to 67mm for the curves otherwise trains with long locos and coaches could foul each other on the curve. What I did was use flexitrack with streamline points, run the double line at 50mm centres for the straights and about 300mm before the curves began, taper out the tracks to 67mm. Setrack points are already based on 67mm spacing so are designed to work with setrack curves that are correctly spaced at 67mm (I think that's right!)
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

All my track is Peco Code100, all the curves are pre-made and the points are to suit the situation. If i started again it would be Peco Cade 75.......
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
I mix both. I just use what I need where I need it. I only use Peco. Not keen on Hornby. All of my main line uses streamline points and siding set track, takes up less room.
I go the other way around. Settrack for the loop where I need 67mm track spacing and streamline for the rest where 50mm separation is fine. Though there is only one crossover on the loop and it is out of sight.

Last edited by Bazil; 23-08-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #8
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I use code 100 Unfortunately when I bought my lengths of streamline track the concrete sleepered option either was not available or I was not aware that it was available. (It was in the late '80's to very early '90's I bought the track).
Pointwork is a mix of set track and streamline depending on what space was available on the board at the location it was needed.
The good thing about my streamline larger points is that if the geometry wasn't quite right I was able to bend them slightly to make them fit. This is ideal for longer pointwork where a long standard point can be converted into a gently curving point. As long as the gauge is kept and there are no sudden kinks or bent sleepers etc, it works a treat! I wouldn't do it to the more fragile code 75 points and dont expect to retain a warranty if you do try bending them! Do it at your own risk.
The good thing about the set track range is that it is an ideal space saver and if one does need to include sharp curves like 1st, 2nd or 3rd radius, do it in set track to avoid the kinking out effect that flexible track has when formed into a tight radius.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Steve M
Monkey Puzzler

Steve M is on a distinguished road

You may have got away with bending your points MG - but I wouldn't recommend it.
We all know, and God knows it has been repeated many times on here, points must be laid flat and level and I would add not stressed in any way.
'Bending' risks putting the rails out of gauge leading inevitably to poor loco performance.
Old 23-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Bending points is one of the worst bits of advice I have seen. Please don't do it.