Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 23-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
JonMiles

JonMiles is on a distinguished road
Question New Layout

I was wondering if I could please run the plans for my layout past you all for comment.

Not sure if this should be in here of the electrics section

I will be building a layout for my two boys and the plan is as follows:

4 4’x2ft boards to make an 8’x4’ layout that can easily be split and prevent divorce!

The boards are 12mm exterior ply on a 70mm by 20mm softwood frame with cross pieces (I forgot about the finished size, so not 75 by 25 as I planned, lesson 1 learnt).

I am planning to use alignment dowels and toggle catches to fix the board together.

The wiring is one of the things I am unsure of, I can wire a theatre, but playing with 12v 1-5amp is new to me. I am going for DC at the moment, but looking to change to DCC when finances allow. I will only be using one controller.

I will be using the Hornby track packs as they are easy to build up with presents from the family. As it will be crossing boards I was going to run DC bus power across the boards connected with xlr plugs and sockets with short jumper wires. I am planning to use 2.5mm twin and earth stripped of the outer cover to give two insulated lengths, then use flexible to the XLR as this solders to the connection better. So basically:

XLR male socket -> 2.5mm stranded cable -> terminal block -> solid core -> terminal block -> 2.5mm stranded cable -> female xlr socket.

The same set up for accessory wiring wanting constant power, station lighting etc.

I will also be using diodes on the sidings as well as being able to isolate them with a toggle switch on a control panel.

The points and semaphore signals are where I have problems.

I have a lot of old style printer extension cable with 25 pin plugs and sockets, so the plan here was to use these for the connections across the boards, I am just not sure if the cable will handle the current, I will be using a CDU for both signals and points. Unfortunately, nowhere on the cable does it state its size. Has anyone had any experience of using these?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by JonMiles; 23-07-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Clarification
JonMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry you typed all of that out and nobody replied, you were perhaps unlucky with the timing of some people's holidays.

Your plan looks alright to me, though there are more expert people on here with the wiring.

I'd be wary of the printer cables, I don't think there is a set standard for them. They were designed to carry data rather than a heavy current. You might be able to use them for low current applications like say, colour light signals where each pin only carries a single LED's current but I'd get someone more knowledgable to give an opinion on that.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

4ft wide is a little bit narrow, a tad wider would be better.

2nd radius curves which are really the tightest you should use are about 18 inch rad, 3rd rad that fit outside 2nd are about 20 inch rad. They'll fit OK on 4ft wide boards but it doesn't leave a lot of room outside the track for scenery.

There are a lot of questions on your post so perhaps people thought they'd look at it later and forgot.

Better to ask a one thing at a time.

Last edited by Walkingthedog; 27-08-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to forum John. Yes lots of folk are off on their holidays at the moment.
John
Old 27-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

John,,,,,,,,,,,I have a end section on my layout which is 44" and managed to get turn around using 2nd and 3rd radius curves double track to fit quite well.
Think just about any loco will manage a 2nd radius curve but would not recommend having a point next to a 2nd radius curve from a main line for some large locos............John
Old 14-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
JonMiles

JonMiles is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I have to confess I had given up slightly on this post.

thank you to those who have replied.

I will be using the track mat layout, without the mat, as I would like to expand and move slightly. So the planned layout is as the image, hopefully, that will also minimise cuts etc.

I am still struggling with the point wiring, but think I will make up my own 25pin d-sub using some 55/0.1 wire, it is lovely and flexible.

You can see that he didn't waste any time!!

They have now been wired with a DC bus bar and painted with a mottled green
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boys.jpg (206.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20170730_125745.jpg (37.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20170730_125810.jpg (58.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20170730_184654.jpg (55.9 KB, 42 views)
JonMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

That's good Jon, I like it. Your engineer gets 10/10 for enthusiasm, but I think he has gone off plan a little. Look forward to hearing how things run. R-
Old 15-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

I made a layout in this way with two sections which join together.

What I did was to glue pieces of 2mm ply each side where the sides were to be joined. Then I cramped the layout together and drilled through with both sides in perfect alignment. Then I put bolts through with washers each side and secured them with nuts the other side. I used flat head screw driver bolts. You can wind and unwind these bolts using an electric screwdriver.

I didn't use alignment dowels because these are easy to damage assembling and dismantling the layout.

If you have a trakmat it is quite a good idea to use it, since if you don't use it you will have to keep it.

As regards the wiring, it is easier to run a separate feed from the controller to the other side of the layout than it is to have wiring which connects the two sides of the layout together..

When you dismantle the layout you don't want lengths of wire dangling about when you move the layout board. It is better to route the wiring to a chopblock on each side. When the feed to the chopblock is disconnected there will be no wires hanging down.

When I made my layout, I had the intention to be able to dismantle it as necessary and re-assemble it in the garage, the spare bedroom or the loft. It is currently in the loft and I can confirm that this idea works.

However...

It is very difficult to dismantle the layout with the track in situ.

In order to do this you would need to make the ends of the track pieces align with the join in the baseboard. This is very difficult to do. A problem is fish plates project over the edge of the dismantled board and are very easy to damage. You can avoid this by soldering the rails to copper sleepers screwed to the baseboard, but this is a lot of work.

The method I use is to screw the track down with very small screws rather than use track pins. These screws can then be removed and the track lifted. I find this to be the better method. It is only necessary to remove the track which goes over the join in the baseboard.

The track plan provided by the trakmat is quite a good arrangement for a beginner's layout. You can change it slightly. What I did was to add another R600 to make the layout a bit longer, but basically the same plan. The engine shed can be changed to a tunnel with a hill above. The station in the middle can be featured as a preserved railway and so on.

Have fun.
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

I've recently had to work with with a Hornby trakmat however the space available was 4' by 7' 4" so I split the mat up.
I've attached how I made the split.

I cut out the 1st radius section entirely and have taken the inner station and goods shed off the the top straight.

A couple of comments about the trakmat I noticed.
1. The trackmat is a photo of a completed trakmat layout.
2. The picture is taken from a central point, so when you put accessories and buildings on at the edges they aren't quite covered, this is especcially a problem with the engine shed and water tower.
3. You are putting buildings on top of a picture of the roof of a building rather than on a scenic base. So when you place the goods shed, in front of it is the picture of the canopy sticking out which is slightly odd looking.
4. Platforms, because of the slight overhang of the platform surface the platform pieces don't quite cover their image on the base.

If I was doing it for myself, even if I used the track plan, I wouldn't use the trackmat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trakmat.jpg (88.8 KB, 24 views)
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote