Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Layout Design.

Most of us will try to recreate a scene from a certain era at a rough certain location even if it is fictional, it usually fits this concept. (E.G. 1930's GWR in Pembrokeshire).
The problem we have is we research or remember all the different locos, coaches and wagons we would have seen passing through, and each time we get the spending money we try to buy examples of everything that may have been seen.
The problem is we end up with trying to cram a lot of stock into a scenic area that is a small fraction of the real railway. In other words our train layouts scenic area is the largest area of our layout and the behind the scenes is the smallest area, but we are trying to fit stock from "The rest of the world" into a small fraction of the scenery of the rail network. Our scenic area becomes overcrowded along with most of our stock having no room on our layout.

The solution is to have a large oval where the scenic side is a narrow but preferably long area (Even if it means avoiding a station and just modelling a length of running line) and the non scenic side being the wider area to store as much as possible off scene.
While the concept is not for everyone, and it certainly is not new, it may be the answer for some of you out there! I hope it helps.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

i laid the track to suit my type of railway the green stuff and any other stuff will fit in the space left, which ain't a lot.....

this is it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBdATWJLPw
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

AviatorAtHeart is on a distinguished road

The major point I noticed with most layouts I've seen (and that is not many!) is that there is typically more going on behind the scenes.
My idea evolved into the same "plan/pattern" before it seemed correct in my mind, so maybe there is a lot of truth in that.
Opinion only of an absolute novice, so perhaps worthless, but hey oh, I noticed the pattern.

You can only drink so much lemonade
AviatorAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

AviatorAtHeart is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
which ain't a lot.....

this is it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBdATWJLPw
So I looked at your video, (still watching) my first thought is, you won't be thinking that ain't a lot when your actually turfing up! That is an immense space! With tons of stuff! Nice.......and maybe a bit mental.......but in a good kind of way.......I'm sure you must just simply grin at it a lot! Hence I refer back to the mental.........

You can only drink so much lemonade
AviatorAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorAtHeart View Post
So I looked at your video, (still watching) my first thought is, you won't be thinking that ain't a lot when your actually turfing up! That is an immense space! With tons of stuff! Nice.......and maybe a bit mental.......but in a good kind of way.......I'm sure you must just simply grin at it a lot! Hence I refer back to the mental.........
I spent 32 years on 25 years of that driving freight trains so my layout has a lot of the bits i know about, Clockwise and ain't Clockwise Track although they swap over so which one is which doesn't work, a branch line dead ends each end, part of this is used as a detour from the mains circuits with access and exit point mid way, loco depot, carriage sidings, freight sidings, 2 reversing loops so trains can change direction with out stopping or reversing a couple of industrial sidings, a couple of inclines go down either incline and come up the other one, plus some sidings below the layout, the layout is mostly finished but there's still a heap of other stuff with point motors going to digital from Seeps, checking all trains can run on all tracks with out a problem, signaling its in my mind where they should be and signal boxes situated for the branch line token system, then the scenic stuff can start, glad you enjoyed the video.
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote