Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 07-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

All my track come from the link below its code 100 but if i were starting again it would be code 75.

https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog...ved-Units.html
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

You have a great idea there Mark, but there will be some running problems. As has been said the track centres need to be a certain distance apart to prevent stock, carriages particularly, striking each other as they pass. I have marked in red where there will be these issues, there may be other areas. If you look at the track centres in the green area you will see what it should look like.

Whichever option you go for may I ask if you will be operating the layout from a central well? There will inevitably be derailments, even with correct track centres, and they will, because train layout law says so, occur at the furthest point away from where you are standing. Or will you have access around the outside, in which case will you be able to reach the middle area?

I like the idea very much and I am sure with some tweaking it can be made to give you many hours of stress-free enjoyment. R-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loops.jpg (355.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

How do you propose to access the tracks to attend to maintenance and any derailments that may occur? You can only normally reach about 2feet across a layout without damaging something. So unless you have access all around and can reach all parts then you will need open spaces in the middle areas.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

I would still use 2nd 3rd or 4th radius where track is running side by side or double etc: where needed. Looks odd otherwise with a short length straight introduced to make it work. If you make a section of double track using the same radius just looks odd to me, as it does on your plan.
Best thing to do is forget the plans. Get some track down on the board and see how it works out. You will be surprised how things come together. Never mind the nice plan on paper, it may well end up different to what you expected. May be even better.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
Footplate1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
How do you propose to access the tracks to attend to maintenance and any derailments that may occur? You can only normally reach about 2feet across a layout without damaging something. So unless you have access all around and can reach all parts then you will need open spaces in the middle areas.
I thought there must be working space or hole in middle of right side of plan. (crawl under) Even if that is the case there is not much access on left side of plane is there. Almost impossible to reach across on that side. On my layout one of my sections is 44" and I find it very difficult to reach across if anything happens in that corner.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
I thought there must be working space or hole in middle of right side of plan. (crawl under) Even if that is the case there is not much access on left side of plane is there. Almost impossible to reach across on that side. On my layout one of my sections is 44" and I find it very difficult to reach across if anything happens in that corner.
I built my layout with the 2 ends just reachable, since the introduction of inclines on the side of the layout i have purchased a Helping Hand they only good for retrieving derailed wagons though....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Helpin...EmU35-LVZXkvCA
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #17
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
i have purchased a Helping Hand they only good for retrieving derailed wagons though....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Helpin...EmU35-LVZXkvCA
We have a couple of those, mainly for reaching awkward windows . I might need another in the garage for retrieving out of reach loco's .
Jim
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #18
Footplate1947

Funny enough Tinker I was thinking that best way for Mark to do this would be for him to do layout like E plan like yours. But doubt Mark has the space to do that. I know I would not have. Except for the above mentioned corner which is 44" none of my other boards are more than 29" and that is about max for my liking.................. John
Old 07-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark, I have had a bash at your side by side layout using flexi-track. It might not have the look you want but it will enable you to operate without fear of crashes. The black track is flexi and all the other pieces are from the standard SCARM Hornby library that you are familiar with. R-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gob2.jpg (261.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #20
GobstopperX

GobstopperX is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much roger! What did you think of the flow of the layout? Did you think there was sufficient access into the middle of the track without needing a cut out hole?

Also, would you recommend using flexi track in the areas you have shown above rather than conventional track pieces? Could you also recommend If you would use conventional points or corner points to link the outer track to the inner ovals?

Last edited by GobstopperX; 08-09-2017 at 01:25 AM.
GobstopperX is offline   Reply With Quote