Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #21
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of what you are trying to do - but no, I don't think you have sufficient access to the middle of the layout. I am guessing the dimensions of your board, but I don't think I can be far out looking at the track pieces you (and I) have used. If you prefer the side by side option you will need to devise a way to get access to both sides of that central pair of tracks - or at the very least a "litter picker" type device. Much better in my view will be the other layout arrangement, again assuming you have access around all the outside edges.

Personally, I have not had much luck with curved points, but others on here have.

R-
Old 08-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #22
GobstopperX

GobstopperX is on a distinguished road

My only negative with the conventional arrangement is that you are very limited in the direction each of the trains can travel on the lines. The direction when transferring between the oval lines can never change between clockwise and anti clockwise meaning that the routes the trains will travel will always be the same.

That is what is putting me off the conventional layout and driving me towards the side by side layout, I would prefer a more dynamic flow where every train can travel on every piece of track in any direction, regardless of which loop and direction it starts from.

Last edited by GobstopperX; 08-09-2017 at 02:24 PM.
GobstopperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #23
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobstopperX View Post
My only negative with the conventional arrangement is that you are very limited in the direction each of the trains can travel on the lines. The direction when transferring between the oval lines can never change between clockwise and anti clockwise meaning that the routes the trains will travel will always be the same.

That is what is putting me off the conventional layout and driving me towards the side by side layout, I would prefer a more dynamic flow where every train can travel on every piece of track in any direction, regardless of which loop and direction it starts from.
Have you thought about doing a folded loop plan. This may give you an ideal crossing point where a reversing loop can be incorporated into the plan. It will also lengthen the run of the main line considerably. This will require adding a second level somewhere to the plan.
Just an idea ...........................John
Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #24
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Making reverse loops (2) so trains can swap direction then swap back again with a up and down track isn't to difficult and works well in DCC, i will leave it to other's to come up with a DC track layout with all the difficulties short circuits will bring.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #25
RogerB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobstopperX View Post
My only negative with the conventional arrangement is that you are very limited in the direction each of the trains can travel on the lines........
I understand completely Mark, I was after the same outcome for my little layout. Here is an updated plan showing (in red) the curved points you mentioned earlier on in this thread which will give you what you want.

There is also an 2' x 3' access panel shown in yellow. The internal part on the right hand side of the layout (where you have the TT) might need some work if you want an access panel there also, as you have not mentioned access to all parts of the layout.

If you would like the SCARM plan, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it across. 67 track pieces ATM so no need to buy a licence :-)

I operate a DCC layout and know nothing about DC - so we'll have to wait for someone who knows about it to come along if you need any help with that.

R-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gob3.jpg (295.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by RogerB; 08-09-2017 at 03:57 PM.
RogerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #26
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Roger the layout you have ticks all the boxes with reversing loops trains can run all over the layout but if there is more than one train running i fear its a accident waiting to happen with DC there will be reverse loop switches add to this the points control then watching each train move at different ends of the layout i think i would freak out running more than 1 train requires separate tracks where nothing going the other way can collide.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #27
RogerB

I agree Tinker, it would drive me to drink. My goodness, is it Friday? R-
Old 08-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #28
GobstopperX

GobstopperX is on a distinguished road

I tried googling hornby folded loop layout and I'm a little built unclear as to exactly what you are meaning. Would anyone be able to send a picture of a folded loop layout so I know exactly what you are describing?
GobstopperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #29
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

This is my layout it has 2 reversing loops, 1 round the left side and along the back wall the other round the loco depot although there not used in the video, DCC allows many trains to run in any direction with out short circuit, easy to install...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBdATWJLPw
Old 08-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #30
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

To find folded loops just google (Model Railway folded loop) and you should find loads of examples of layout plans. I just did it and got pages of them. John