Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
Pjlons83

Pjlons83 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the ideas. The main thing stopping going too big is that I want the room to be usable for other projects and making/fixing. Itís not a train room, just the room that I want trains in. The sit down desk (on RHS in the pic) has two big drawers. Iím already thinking that if I do want another more accessible layout then I could do it as a big drawer that would pull out and push away tidily. The first layout ďon the shelfĒ is more like a feature for the room.
Pjlons83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

AviatorAtHeart is on a distinguished road

No worries.
At least you've a target to aim for.

I am also unable to build a permanent layout yet.......but I can dream......
I had a good idea for a dining table......
With gas struts like on a car boot.......
Very hidden and large enough!

I'd still vote for a full wall length, despite your parameters.
Be nice to see what you conjure up anyway!

(Honestly I wanted a small layout before I sat down and looked at things properly)
It doesn't take long to shift away from that ideal.
Now I have the layout I WANT but it's plain ridiculous if you knew the facts of my situation!

I got what I wanted though! So good luck with phase one.
I like the floating bridge idea, so that's noted, cheers!!!!!!

You can only drink so much lemonade
AviatorAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
Pjlons83

Access to the man cave has been difficult this week (pic attached), but it does mean that ready for winter Iíll be able to walk easier from the house and the area should be covered so I wonít get wet when itís raining!!

Iíve ordered more track this weekend, my final(ish) decision being Kato Unitrack. Iím working on the controller this week so I should be running something by next weekend. I want to experiment with inclines and get the controller working nicely. Iíll be powering and controlling the track using an Arduino. As itís a simple loop it will be DC but with sensors triggering stop/start, lights and sound (and possibly some actuators).

With regards to the shelf design Iím holding out for some Bosch profile left over from work so I need to wait for that before mounting anything. That means I need to tidy up my workbench to make space for a decent test track. About time I tidied up really and this is the perfect excuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1628D68-CF27-420F-A6AA-3403B36482BC.jpg (25.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Have you considered having a layout suspended from the ceiling with a pulley system. One featured sometime back in one of the magazines, a bloke had a garage in which he kept his car. When the car was out he simply lowered his layout which was suspended above. There is a commercially available pulley system available which I think has been advertised in one of the magazines.

One advantage to a system suspended by wires is never having to work under the baseboard, simply lower one edge down so the board is vertically orientated everything there convenient to work on.

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #15
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
Have you considered having a layout suspended from the ceiling with a pulley system. One featured sometime back in one of the magazines, a bloke had a garage in which he kept his car. When the car was out he simply lowered his layout which was suspended above. There is a commercially available pulley system available which I think has been advertised in one of the magazines.

One advantage to a system suspended by wires is never having to work under the baseboard, simply lower one edge down so the board is vertically orientated everything there convenient to work on.

Richard
And all the Wagons, Coaches and Loco's fall off.....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
dynax

dynax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjlons83 View Post
Thanks for the ideas. The main thing stopping going too big is that I want the room to be usable for other projects and making/fixing.
initially that was my problem, wanting to use the room for other things, but common sense won in the end , and a permanent layout is being constructed

Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a day,
teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day!!
dynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
Pjlons83

I can see how it takes over. Itís a bit early to call it an obsession but Iím sure itís in the early stages.........
Old 09-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

Not long now........
My bet is on Christmas.

Take it from me,
It only takes a mere few months!

(What turns it into a big "thing" is all the talk about usable curves)
Once that sinks in.....game over!

Last edited by AviatorAtHeart; 09-10-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 14-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #19
Pjlons83

Lightbulb Itís alive!!!

I managed a few hours playing this evening and had an engine running by the end of it so very pleased.

I knocked up a temporary control panel and connected it to my Arduino uno board. The speed control is the only functionality working so far and the power is limited to 5v as itís coming through the Arduino. This obviously makes it very slow so the next step is to add a power circuit to enable a variable 12v output to the tracks.

Electrics is my ďfirst loveĒ so really enjoyed doing this. Iím planning on adding a couple of electronic ďfeaturesĒ to the layout once itís running so to prove the concept and get the basis of the programme written tonight was a good step forward.

In the background you can see my first attempt at painting clouds with the backdrop in kind. Iím not arty at all so Iím not sure whether or not Iíll actually paint it myself but itís fun trying new things!

Edit; no idea why the image is upside down. Not sure how to change that - sorry.

Mod edit:-Image rotated
Attached Images
File Type: gif Box.gif (60.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Rog (RJ); 14-10-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 15-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

I love the big no flip protection switch!
I have not long got into electronics......
I've seen these for sale but have no real justifiable excuse for one, YET!

Clouds look ok on that image......modelling is my first love, sparks are somewhere about 3rd or 4th on a list......a dabbleist if there is such a word!

So you're one circuit away from full steam ahead. It'll be interesting to see what you fabricate.