Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 20-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
Laser level eh? That's very grown up. R-
I've got one of them......

Somewhere............

I think
Old 23-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #22
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

I may get round to laying some track today, along the side with the roof coming down a bit close i run a test with some Glazing Security Tape, its 1mm thick and 10mm wide double sided with peel off backing, so layed 2 pieces piece on the board (ply) and pressed a piece of straight track on the tape and that was it, needed to use a flat screwdriver to get the tape off the board then peel it off the back of the track, its worth thinking about doing the whole layout with it, cost 50m in this size 7.75p, if you stuck for space to knock in track pins this will do a good job....
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #23
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

It's best to push track pins in Tinker. Well I think so. Doesn't make everything on the layout that isn't fixed down leap about.
Like your tape idea though, as long as you get the track in the right position first time. How do you slide the track together?
Old 23-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #24
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Once the track is on the tape there's no sliding about so i'm thinking i have 4m along the sides that getting a track pin in will be a problem so lay the tape unpeel 1m place a length of flexitrack on the tape and join another flexitrack then unpeel some more tape carry on the the end, the flexitrack is kept straight with a thin hardwood strip that's a sliding fit between the rails, pictures will follow when i have some layed.....
Old 25-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #25
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

I must have all of 3 metres of track pinned down with droppers on all section hanging down below.....
Old 29-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #26
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Bit more track down, spent quite a few hours getting a Cobalt to work, it and another one both worked when connected to the rails which are connected to the bus by droppers but wouldn't move when connected to the bus them selves, various tests tried, Loco run on the same piece of track fine, ended up soldering droppers to the Cobalt from the Point Rails direct to the Motor connections with the frog wire connected my Class 8 creeps across at minimum speed perfectly....

Decouple Cap and Resistor type Filter fitted prior to the motor fitting..

Last edited by Tinker; 29-06-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #27
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Update with pictures, this is the East side and the North is the Brick wall at the end, so the first picture up and down main over the back with the north direction having a passing loop with at the north end a siding shunt neck the vacant space in the middle i'm thinking a couple of sidings road the full length with the west side road have spurs come off with some industry down each one maybe 4 or 5 like Milk, Cement, Coal, Cattle, still thonking about number 5, the 2nd picture shows the carriage siding 5 roads to stable 4 trains with room for the Train Loco so they either propel up the shunt neck in the first picture, or the pilot pulls the coaches (4) up the shunt nrck and the train loco attaches there they can depart in the North direction going straight out or propel out and go southwards then round the curve and head north, there is a single line in the first picture its nearest the camera and is a dead end with a station in the right hand corner....that's it so far things may change a bit depending on any comments.
Picture No.1

Picture No.2
Old 24-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #28
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Update time, the right hand section is finished other than a pair of points from the single line (closest to camera 2nd picture) to come off the main line onto the single this allows freight to move either right round on the main line or go onto the single line and, well i haven't thought about that just yet. the 1st photo will be a industrial complex the wagons are there because they got to be some place and they don't have boxes to store them, 3rd photo is the center section, i fancy a proper freight yard in the middle accessed from the main line brick wall end on the right with maybe a exit out of the yard to the left towards the brick wall, will need a reverse polarity module for this bit...
Picture one.

Picture 2 Carriage sidings 5 roads

Picture 3, DMU Fuel point top right

Picture 4, to be sorted out....
Old 08-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #29
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Center section update, it going to be a freight yard, the outer loop will go over the other loop going from the top to the right hand side. On the right/middle the 2 lines are going to make a DMU Fuel point, the whole yard tapers to a shunt neck going off to the right just in side the duel rail loop. questions, suggestion most welcome...

Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #30
Bank Croft Jct

Bank Croft Jct is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Center section update, it going to be a freight yard, the outer loop will go over the other loop going from the top to the right hand side. On the right/middle the 2 lines are going to make a DMU Fuel point, the whole yard tapers to a shunt neck going off to the right just in side the duel rail loop. questions, suggestion most welcome...

I am so impressed with this layout Tinker, wish Like most of us, I had the space to do something as grand has your layout and skill plus the ability to do such a neat job. I just don't have the confidence to do anything like that, so I keep it fairly simple, but what my be simple for most, is quite daunting to me..lol
Look forward to seeing a video of your layout running..

Just noticed you have a start of an incline at the back Tinker, how have you worked out your degree's.IE:each block height, example 2", 1"7/8ths.

Last edited by Bank Croft Jct; 09-08-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Bank Croft Jct is offline   Reply With Quote