Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > On The Workbench

On The Workbench A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc

Old 08-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #181
dtb

dtb is on a distinguished road

that'll be an interesting project MG

I'm off to the attic to break I mean fix my double slip

Last edited by dtb; 08-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.
dtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #182
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Love the little red coaches MG ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am going to build a loco like the green one, one day. Is it a Peco kit body.
I am planning doing a short narrow gauge railway somewhere if I can fit it into my layout, but I have long way to go yet.
John
Old 08-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #183
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Loco kits I use are from Smallbrook Studio which are designed to run on cheap Hornby 0-4-0 chassis.

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/pr...m-Narrow-Gauge

The coaches are Peco that have been repainted.
I like this scale and gauge as it is economical and space saving. My layout uses curves to turn 180 on a board just 2ft wide. To do this I make couplings from drawing pins and paper clips.
Home made couplings halves the cost of wagon scratch building projects. I can build little wagons for not a great deal more then the cost of a pair of 00 gauge wheels.

Thanks for the comments. Hope you have success with the double slip DTB.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 08-09-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 02:04 AM   #184
Mountain Goat

I do have an interesting plan but not sure I can pull it off.
It involves building a diamond crossing at a steep angle with one of the rails being on a very sharp curve. I have other things to do first though as though I was thinking of making a start this morning, I got sidetracked into another much needed job which may take another day or so to complete. The sorting out of my 00 gauge collection. Making a new updated list and working out what locos have decoders and what were the addresses I used. Will need to bring out the control system and get the books out as due to the fact I very rarely have looked at my DCC in the last decade, I will need to study the manuals to remember how to do things! [Chiefly reading out loco addresses!]
So to conclude, when I'm all sorted and settled, I may well have a go at the challenge of making a diamond crossing!
Old 20-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #185
dtb

dtb is on a distinguished road

good luck with the diamond crossing MG, I wouldn't have a clue where to start making track let alone a crossing. I'm still at the practicing stage of soldering droppers to the rails!

You will need to keep us updated with your progress.

I lost the clip from the double slip which was inevitable I suppose, one member pointed out the hole in the tie bar appeared enlarged in the photo I posted and I'm sure he was correct. After 2 failed attempts I found a decent one on the bay, I just need to pack the faulty one up and see what Peco can do for me.

cheers
Old 20-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #186
Mountain Goat

Making one isn't too much of a problem. It is getting trains to run on them which is the issue!
I remember in my teens I made a double track (Both ways) 90 crossing from an offcut of hardboard and some code 100 rail simply glued into position on the hardboard. It did work, but my work was crude and not everything crossing it made it! I later redesigned the layout to avoid the need for such a crossing.
Though I am still in the learning stage myself, I have had relative success apart from the multiple times that I've repositioned soldered on rails to PCB board sleepers (None cut) so things cross my pointwork correctly (So the soldering gets to be a mess). Just when I was satisfied with 4 wheel stock going through the pointwork (Not wired it up properly yet) I tried an old Triang class 08 and it didnt like my fancy ornate angles I'd added (Just to be different!) in between two points.
I've never owned any track gauges as I take my measurements from copying a piece of ready made 00 gauge track. Track gauges would be a lovely luxury to own but I've found I've got by without them.
One task that may seem puzzling at first is to work out which rails need to be isolated from each other and how to go about isolating them and yet provide sufficient support to hold the rails to copper on the sleepers. It is all a learning curve which I've found to be easier then I had imagined (In basic construction) but more fiddly to get things running right.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #187
Mountain Goat

While I've not done anything on the layout or with the stock recently (Other then planning ideas, which are very valuable in themselves), I have had an interesting new addition in the form of some "Real Estate". In other words, a building! It has some potential. It was made from an shredded wheat packet and small square wooden dowels. No, I didn't make it and have no idea who did. And yes, it will need a small amount of work like some roof tiles and some 0 scale brick or stonework rather then the 00 gauge brick paper it has. I bought it because I like the look of it, and as it is my first building in this scale it really gives me a "Feel" of the size I am modelling in.
As I didn't expect to gain this new addition, I may need to plan where it is going to go, but as the layout is in its infancy, things are much easier then if I'd bought it later in the layouts construction. I must say that though it wasn't exactly a bargain (More of a reasonable price), I am well pleased as it has a lovely character to it, so it makes it difficult to consider adapting it to my requirements, incase my alterations change the character of the building.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171012_193811.jpg (339.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 12-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 13-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #188
Mountain Goat

Well, I thought I'd better make more progress with experimenting on something I've not tried before. A diamond crossing. The photos show how far I've got. I'm not thinking electrically as yet. Will need to do some rail cuts to do that. For now I just want to concentrate on getting rails layed down which seemed to be going quite nicely but became fiddly in the soldering down of the tiny cross rail and so far I've just done the one. The small pieces could do with three hands! Well. I only have two so I have to make do with what I have!
It is a nice start and hopefully the end result will work well enough to allow trains to pass without the things flying off the track. As the Red Alert PlayStation1 game said "Time will tell... Time will tell!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171013_202603.jpg (337.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171013_210049.jpg (320.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171013_210119.jpg (327.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 13-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #189
Mountain Goat

Some more progress...
Thoughts about wiring it... Gosh. Isn't radio control via batteries tempting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171013_222039.jpg (325.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171013_224551.jpg (330.3 KB, 11 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #190
Mountain Goat

Regarding wiring and plans for further progress. The diagram shows the cuts needed to isolate the various rails on the diamond crossing. Obviously the cuts need to go through the rail and the top surface of the copper on the PCB.

[Note: If I was to do this again I would cut PCB to fill in the sleepers at the diamond part making sure I have enough to overlap the rails for soldering purposes. Ideally I'd cut a PCB square to go as a base. This makes things easier!]

Unfortunately any cuts at these positions can't be left as cuts, as not only would they not look good, they will likely cause derailments. My solution is to bring out the playdough to make little areas so I can pour in resin so I can later file out the flangeways, so one ends up with resin crossing frogs.
Even before this work is done though, I need to remember to drill holes and soldering wires to drop through the holes to wire it up, but one has to ensure that any resin poured in will not flow down any holes. Fortunately the holes needed are not where the resin will go (Well, that's the plan!).
One can use other suitable materials instead of resin so dont be limited if you take the plunge and build such a crossing. It has to be a flexible material or liquid (Before it is set) that sets relatively hard and is relatively easy to file to shape or cut after it is set.
Go very easy when cutting through rails and always wear eye protection. Cutting through rails and the top surface of the PCB board is done with a minidrill with a carbodium (I think that's what its called!) cutting disc.
I need to solder some extra check rails to finish the rail work before the other stages commence so I need to cut myself some more PCB sleepers.

While in one respect, making a diamond crossing is not exactly easy, it doesn't really need special skills other then basic soldering (I dont pretend to say I'm good at soldering but I get by) the right tools and materials and patience. In other words, if I can do it, I'm sure that most of you can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171014_221059.jpg (267.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; Yesterday at 10:51 AM.