Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > General Modelling

General Modelling Use this area for modelling items that don't fit elsewhere

Old 10-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

I have been for a walk along the route of the Cuckoo Line, starting at Upper Horsebridge. I inherited a 4MT tank from a layout that was being dismantled and my local model shop happened to have two green mark 1 carriages. I think I would make the layout as a single track oval with the station as the main feature.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
4MT
Junior Member..at my age?

4MT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VEP View Post
I have been for a walk along the route of the Cuckoo Line, starting at Upper Horsebridge. I inherited a 4MT tank from a layout that was being dismantled and my local model shop happened to have two green mark 1 carriages. I think I would make the layout as a single track oval with the station as the main feature.
I don't have room to build an oval, single track or otherwise, which is a shame...but what I have is what I have and that's it.

At present, the layout is built as a small storage/shunting yard, based upon a fictional area somewhere within the Cuckoo Line area. There is a through line at the rear which the 4MT will reside along with two/maybe three carriages, the rest is given over to the yard, with Court and Son's depot in one corner, hence the layout's title "Court's Yard".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01784a.jpg (868.9 KB, 11 views)

"My train of thought doesn't always run on schedule..." M.G. Edwards
4MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

Hi 4MT
No doubt the area where you live has lots of 'ghosts' for you

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
4MT
Junior Member..at my age?

4MT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman Prat View Post
Hi 4MT
No doubt the area where you live has lots of 'ghosts' for you
I guess you could call it that...back when I was but a sprout, I would often go and stay with an Auntie and Uncle, whose rear garden was literally within a few feet of the line as it pulled into Hailsham Station. Being a nosey child, I got to know a few of the train drivers, which stood me in good stead...much later in life I was taken for a ride in the cab of 80033 (I'm sure it was that number, time erases a lot of things) that was the highlight of my life, and still is. Hence my need to have a 4MT on my layout...I wanted one in O gauge as a shelf queen, until I saw the price

"My train of thought doesn't always run on schedule..." M.G. Edwards
4MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
4VEP
Hornby Collector

I suggest you have a piece of batten which attaches temporarily to extend the length of the track. You can make the baseboard temporarily wider too by attaching a piece with dowels which fits into corresponding holes on the main baseboard.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #16
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

Hi
I spent most of my mis-spent youth (1959-64) on the platforms of Newcastle Central. The few times I've been there since it's felt very strange - almost as if I'm looking for me and my pals.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Well worth browsing the Southern E-Group web pages for useful information. Southern Railway/Region coaches for a long time were kept in sets with the set number identified on the end of the outer vehicles - there is a detailed document of these available for download on that web site http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html to be precise.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #18
4VEP
Hornby Collector

I remember Hastings in the days of steam. There used to be a train with a pullman car hauled by a Schools Class locomotive. Two of these cars are preserved on the Kent and East Sussex Railway. I met a man who was a steward on these pullmans. He said he was up and down to London all day. It was a good life. He told me the story of a driver on the train who had asthma who the firemen dreaded working with because he never helped out shovelling the coal, A schools class can generate a huge amount of power, but it can only generate that power if the firebox is constantly fed.

I have often thought Hastings in the steam era would make a great layout, since you have a combination of steam, pullmans, and EMUs as well as goods. However the space required makes this an impossible project. Hastings station has been re built four times. The original early Victorian station was a single track terminus. This was rebuilt as a V shape station in mid Victorian times. It was rebuilt as a through station as part of 1933 Southern Electrification which did not include the Charing Cross or Rye and Ashford line, so steam remained to the end of steam on BR.

A station which would be similar in concept, but smaller is Ventnor.

I think possibly the way to approach the representation of a real place is to choose a similar station, but smaller. With regard to Hailsham, maybe Cranbrook or Horsmonden?