Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > O, G & other large scales

O, G & other large scales Large scale model railway topics

Old 22-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making a Start in 7mm Narrow Gauge.

Just added a quick photo of an example of what is needed to make a start. There are many other kits and sets to work on, so don't confine yourself to one set way to do things.
The main consideration if choosing a trainset and a locomotive kit is to make sure the locomotive is suitable for the kit. The main thing to look for with the cheap four wheel locomotives that Hornby provide in their cheaper trainsets is that the locomotive has piston rods going into cylinders or if it does not. If it does not, the choice of kit is more limiting so try to get a set with a loco that has piston rods if you can. (Second photo shows a close up of piston rods and cylinders)
I included pictures of kits from Smallbrook Studio as an example as I happen to have them handy. There are other kits.
The track may be 00 gauge track but some narrow gauge lines did have thin stick like sleepers that needed to be tightly spaced, usually found on temporarily laid lines or on lines on a very tight budget.
There is nothing wrong with using tension lock couplings in this scale, especially the smaller type as they don't look too far off the look of some narrow gauge coupling systems. I've even seen a picture of an industrial locomotive that has a buffer coupling resembling a large tension lock loop though it didn't have the hook part.
While some Small brook Studio wagon kits are made for Dapol wagon chassis, the hornby chassis are not too difficult to convert for use on these kits.
I write this because I had the thought that there is a lack of a starter train set in this lovely scale and gauge so I hope to show with this short thread a way to begin.
Of course, there are many other kits from other manufacturers. I use kits from Smallbrook Studio as I have found them to be reasonably priced and relatively easy to build. If you can paint with a small brush, drill a few small holes and gently file and glue, then you can build these kits!
Peco make some lovely ready painted coach kits (Though they don't have interiors... I made my own interior seats etc from wood) and they look good and apart from a few fiddly door handles, they are relatively easy to make.
While my views may be simplistic, there is not a lot to it to make a start and though most of us will make the odd mistake in building, mistakes are normally easy to put right with the blessing of modelling clay and super glue or variants of various bits and pieces, so don't be scared to make a start. Go for it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170521_112231.jpg (326.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170521_112809.jpg (245.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 22-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

For those of you who have probably not seen the advantages of this scale and gauge and were also shrinking back as ones efforts may not be as good as a ready made model from a manufacturer, I give you these thoughts...
The advantages of larger scale modelling in a small space really show the advantages and possibilities of scratchbuilding to save on costs, especially as you can make use of scrap or cheaply obtained 00 gauge chassis.
One does not have to build a copy of a prototype. This frees up the concept of a certain standard to achieve. Invent your own railway and open up possibilities. Make it as if it was a real railway, but built to a tight budget, and what you build from bits and pieces will make sense.
If you kit or scratchbuild, or even if you get an odd ready made item, it is a good idea to repaint the item to your own railways livery even if the kit or the ready made item comes already painted. Why? Because you can bring in an element of consistency for your layout. Your little railway paints a picture. This picture will look the part if it is consistent.
Consistancy is an important part of any model. Have you ever looked at an old Triang diesel and put it by a few modern Hornby or Bachmann diesels and the Triang diesel does not half stand out... Or likewize, run a modern model running among an old Triang based layout. The modern model will stand out a mile. It is not really the lack of detailing or the crude scale of the Triang models, as on a Triang layout it can look OK if carefully done. It is more that there has been a breech of consistancy in the overall picture of the layout.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Anyone into making a start in 7mm narrow gauge needn't go far wrong with taking a look at Elaine's Trains website at the moment. She has a few Fleishmann Magic Train wagons for sale.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Steved1234

Steved1234 is on a distinguished road

I'm contemplating getting rid of all my 0/16.5 Oe stuff and going onto 009. I've got about 25 assorted Flieschman wagons and coaches, 4 x040 flieschmann diesels and a 040 Steam loco plus a Bachmann 50 ton switcher. None have ran move than an hour in all the time I've had them. I love 7mm but its getting harder to model as there is not much RTR stuff available.
Steved1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

They are lovely things. If I had the funds, though I have to say they are a bit large for my tight loading gauge as my stock is slightly narrower.
Ideal for someone who wants to make a start in this scale and gauge.
All my stock is either kit or scratchbuilt and if you look at what I make you all discover that there is nothing too complicated about it. A few small aspects maybe beyond a beginner who may not have the tools or materials to start with, but I've deliberately kept things simple so that I (And others) can copy so more can be made.
If I had any ready made stock I would do some alterations like different couplings and repaint them to match my other stock.
There is a for sale section on this forum. You may need to post a few posts before you can use it. I think ten posts.
I have sold a few items in the past and I have not sold other items. I have a lot of 00 gauge "Spare" locos and stock. The things one buys and does not use. In the past when I had a decent income I did a lot of that!
Old 03-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
Steved1234

Steved1234 is on a distinguished road

I built my own large BO BO NG diesel, crude but effective and I converted a Flieschmann Passenger coach into a driving trailer, best thing I ever did was go over to Kay Dee couplings makes yard work a doddle. I just cannot stop drooling over the 009 RTR stuff though
Steved1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

I did dabble a bit in H0e. Nice stuff. Expensive locos and coaches though waggons were cheap and came in packs of two. (They were cheap about a decade ago. Today they seem to have risen somewhat the last time I looked, as a pair of little H0e waggons used to cost less then a single 00 gauge wagon).
Nice stuff, but I found once I tried a 7mm narrow gauge loco kit by Smallbrook Studio, I didnt look back. I gave my H0e collection to a friend as I heard that he had started to build a line next to his 00 gauge set up in his attic.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
Longvallon

Longvallon is on a distinguished road

Hello Mountain,
Your topic gives me a few ideas for the future. It's not my favorite scale at the moment but one day...Who knows ?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Do what I did. The majority of what I have is in 00 gauge. I purchased a Smallbrook Studios body kit. Go for one of the easier ones like Ceto to begin with. Also, to make a start use old wrecked 00 gauge wagons. Cut the buffers off and as long as the wheels and couplings work....
The waggons in the first photo are the easiest to make. I might sell them one day. They are simply made from fine wire mesh cut and mounted onto Triang cast metal chassis.
The wooden waggon takes a little more effort to make but it is still fairly simple. The chassis is built from three pieces of wood formed in a letter H and you go from there.

I found 7mm narrow gauge ideal for using up scrap chassis from my 00 gauge collection.
The good thing about this type of modelling is there is nothing too technical about it. If it works and looks the part it has been a success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171019_160750.jpg (262.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171019_151520.jpg (220.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171019_151549.jpg (236.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Longvallon

Longvallon is on a distinguished road

Nice wagons. Thanks for the pics.