Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 05-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #61
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

DON'T solder droppers to the fishplates. Fishplates are the weakest part of a layout. The whole idea of droppers is to supply power to each track section, not relying on the fishplates to pass the power on. If some solder is poking above the track, file it down.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #62
Steve M
Monkey Puzzler

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Fishplates, wire and solder should never be mixed in the same package.
The wire, soldered to the rail, conducts the electricity, the fishplate is only there to hold the rails in alignment.
Solder the wires to the outside of the rails, or preferably, the underside of the rails. And if the solder 'creeps' use a file as WTD says.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #63
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road

Ha - well - that's knocked that one on the head!

Thanks for keeping me right.
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #64
BigTed

Thought it best to post here, as I've had a few threads dotted around the place.

About a week ago, I put the last point motor in, filled a few gaps in the track so I had the full 'base' layout available again.

Since then, trains have been running far, far better than they ever did before.

It was a lot of work, and a steep learning curve, and at many times throughout it I doubted I'd ever get these old locos running in anything near an acceptable manner.

But now I have And it feels great.

I think I'll put some videos together showing progress, a few photos too. But I'm very happy. The trains, they just run! Like I'd imagined they would!

I still haven't got around to actually creating the control panels for the switch motors. So I don't really have much control over route of trains at the moment, they just have to run around in their loops. But that's OK. They just run.

The delay with the panels is I think I need to varnish the 3.6mm ply I have as I want to print the plans onto self-adhesive vinyl and believe it won't stick to a mat surface.

That's my next big project, but right now I'm just happy that I seem to have a working, reliable base from which to actually start building a layout now.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and encouragement!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #65
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Ted - You mentioned some way back that your loft hatch is very small - I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it takes about an hour to increase the size of the loft hatch. Most hatches consist of two pieces of joist placed between the joists that run front to back or side to side of the house - usually held in place with very large nails. Cut the nails with a hacksaw if you can't get them out. Just move this short piece of joist to a position on top of the ceiling board, fix it in place (nails or screws) and cut the ceiling board out that's left between the existing hole and the new positioned piece of joist, and fit a new hatch door. Mine went from 2ft sq to 4ft x 2ft - ladder is now at a reasonable angle, and everything will go through the hatch - even a single divan (for storage).
Old 04-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #66
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Its lovely to get trains running. It really makes a difference! Especially when one has worked hard to get to that point. Keep going. You're getting there!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #67
BigTed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Hi Ted - You mentioned some way back that your loft hatch is very small - I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it takes about an hour to increase the size of the loft hatch. Most hatches consist of two pieces of joist placed between the joists that run front to back or side to side of the house - usually held in place with very large nails. Cut the nails with a hacksaw if you can't get them out. Just move this short piece of joist to a position on top of the ceiling board, fix it in place (nails or screws) and cut the ceiling board out that's left between the existing hole and the new positioned piece of joist, and fit a new hatch door. Mine went from 2ft sq to 4ft x 2ft - ladder is now at a reasonable angle, and everything will go through the hatch - even a single divan (for storage).
Thank you - yes - we did look at that but there aren't many options. There's a bedroom door immediately in front of the loft hatch, in the direction we'd need to go in, so there's nothing easy.

Indeed it has been immensely satisfying to have previously trouble causing trains running gloriously smoothly finally.

Still some teething troubles, especially around curved points but I'm working through them one by one.

It must seem like a lot of fuss, just to make what are essentially crap locos run smoothly when there are obviously such better locos out there, but these are my crap locos from my childhood (some of them at least) and I get far more pleasure from seeing them running around the layout compared to my single, factory DCC ready loco.

And they're cheaper, of course...
Old 21-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #68
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

AviatorAtHeart is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
I think if I keep the locos up there through the extreme seasons a couple of airtight plastic boxes may help. All the locos that got stored in my Dad's loft for 30 years got pretty much ruined (they were all just chucked in a cardboard box) except for one Britannia that had stayed in its original Hornby packaging. That one was fine and ran immediately without any issue.
Wow I may actually be able to help and offer advice!
(Who'd have thought it)

An airtight box will not remove the moisture content, moisture is a well known demon of electrical circuits.
What I use to protect my camera gear is a rechargeable desiccant, it comes in a little metal box with air holes, inside the box is the colour changing medium, clear for empty and orange for full of moisture.

I've had one in my bag since mid 2013, I recharge approx every 10mths (simply bake it in the oven)

Once the beads are clear (2-3 hrs) return it to the box AFTER ALLOWING TO COOL. Safe in the knowledge your prized possessions are in a low/free humidity environment.

I got mine from waterproof cases.something they sell peli boxes etc.

So far all of my stuff still works and I'm in the rain and the snow
(England standard).

Really hope this is of some use to all you loft dwellers!

Edit link
https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/s...uery=desiccant
This stuff

You can only drink so much lemonade

Last edited by AviatorAtHeart; 21-09-2017 at 08:22 AM.
AviatorAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote