Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > On The Workbench

On The Workbench A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc

Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #191
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Now all the check rails have been added along with dropper wires soldered on, I'm ready for cutting the slots for the resin to go into for isolation purposes. As it is getting late, though I'm eager to get it done, it is better for me to wait for tomorrow or when I get time as I need better light etc.
I really need more practice and experimentation with regards to soldering and re-soldering rails onto sleepers. Never tried separate flux before as flux is in solder. This may help re-soldering where things need adjusting etc. At the moment my efforts seem to overdo the soldering. While I really want to ensure the rails are not going to move while cutting, I'm sure many of you could do a much neater job, and to be honest, so could I. I am just glad to have rails where they are supposed to be and a waggon can be pushed through the diamond crossing without having any difficulties. Actually, in running ability, it is better then I expected... Hope all my other stock will run through it OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171017_225910.jpg (350.0 KB, 9 views)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #192
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I'm starting on the cutting. As the crossing is being so dissected, I'm squirting a few drops of superglue to keep everything in place. I did have one little short check rail come away as it separated complete with copper from the circuit boards base. This was simply superglue back in position.
I'm only taking a break to allow things to cool down a bit as my overload cut out tripped of the drills transformer just to let me know it needed a rest!
Back to work while I have a bit of time spare...

Just edited this to say I've now completed the cuts and enclose a photograph of the results.
Using the minidrill to cut like this is a bit nurve racking as the disc can suddenly tug (Catch) and if one does not go steady or account for this, the disc will break and its fragments shoot around the room in various pieces! In the past with thinner discs I doubled them up on the mandrill to give them a bit more strength. The ones I have now are slightly stronger then the old minicraft discs but I still have to take my time with them. Also I cut from right to left as due to the drill direction, this helps prevent the disc catching in the work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171018_134752.jpg (307.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171018_144604.jpg (299.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; Today at 02:55 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #193
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Bravo MG, so that is how it is done . Thanks for the pictures they are very useful. I shall look forward to your running some locos over these crossing points.
jim.
mijj is online now   Reply With Quote