Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 04-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
BR Blue's

BR Blue's is on a distinguished road
Default Old kitchen as baseboard

Morning all,

We are stripping out the kitchen and as such there are several tall side boards from the (carcasses) "spelling?"
They are just over 2ft wide, about 8ft long and 20mm thick, just the general kitchen type material with a coating.

My question is would they be ok to use as base boards if i coat them in PVA first to give everything else a key to bond to?

Thanks

Andy
BR Blue's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont see a problem with them. They are nice and solid things. The only drawback is they maybe tough things to make holes in for point motors to go in.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

What about using the Base units as a base for the railway baseboards on top. I did that with mine and the result is I have a wonderful under baseboard storage cupboards to use. As for using the chipboard of old cupboards well as long as it makes a nice flat surface I don't see a problem.
Personally I would prefer to use nice new flat ply which is easy to push track pins into but that is your choice.

Last edited by Footplate1947; 04-09-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I would think them to be quite heavy and at 20mm you might need to think about extending point motor pins, if you are using them under the board. R-
Old 04-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
BR Blue's

Hi thanks for the advice.

I will be pre-drilling the boards before i put track pins in and will also be using cork under the track to help with the look of the ballast.
I will also possibly be using Copydex or double sided carpet tape for the track or maybe just pins, PVA and ballast to hold the track in place, i've not decided yet.

Andy
Old 04-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
BR Blue's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
I would think them to be quite heavy and at 20mm you might need to think about extending point motor pins, if you are using them under the board. R-
I'm not sure of the exact thickness, it could be 18mm.

Andy
Old 04-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
BR Blue's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
What about using the Base units as a base for the railway baseboards on top. I did that with mine and the result is I have a wonderful under baseboard storage cupboards to use. As for using the chipboard of old cupboards well as long as it makes a nice flat surface I don't see a problem.
Personally I would prefer to use nice new flat ply which is easy to push track pins into but that is your choice.
My setup will be in the loft so will be supported by the roof trusses so no room for the base units, i will be adding extra support under the boards in the form of either 2" x 4" or 2" x 3" once again not decided as yet.

I'm still in the planning stage regarding the base boards and plans, up to now i'm planning a twin level setup where the top level will drop down to the lower/main level then back up again.

There will be a 4 track run around, 2 upper level and 2 lower with 2 stations and plenty of sidings on both levels.
As said though it's all plans in my head at the moment.

Andy
Old 04-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

I see you seem to have it all planned out in your mind so good luck with the build and look forward to seeing the results. John
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

As for the thickness of the board I would agree with Roger, 20mm would be heavy and create problems fitting things like point motors ect; Even 12mm chip weighs a ton. Also Chip board is not only heavy it is harder to cut. Where as, Ply 9mm / 10mm is light and easier to work. Most of us have tried using your ideas in the past and have found that ply is better in the long run. But I am sure you will do it the way you have planned and good luck.