Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 02-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Old shed

Old shed is on a distinguished road
Default Wagon building

I want to have a go at building some oo gauge wagons and have found information for Parkside Dundas.Has anyone any experience of these kits and any comments regarding the building and quality of them.
Old shed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought one and built it up about 20 years ago. It was one of the steel bodied coal wagons. It seemed easy enough to make, though I found the bufferheads to be rather fragile and vulnerable to abuse. Other then that, and the underneath to be fragile, they seem good to me. (It is that they are built with scale looks in mind rather then durability).
To conclude, I found them to be rather nice kits. My experience with them is limited though to building one and buying a second or third on the secondhand market.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

Parkside Dundas kits (now Peco) I have built lots of these and I am delighted with them. They fit together very easily and can best be made using liquid poly applied with a fine brush. A fine needle file to clean up any excess plastic is useful and of course a modelling knife to remove components from the sprues. I find a flat sheet of glass is useful to build the model on to ensure that all the parts are true. I use a plate glass screen protector from a 1950s TV, but a smooth kitchen chopping board from Poundland will do just as well.

I buy and use the adaptor blocks to fit Bachmann mini couplings but of course there are a number of alternatives. Wheels run in brass top hat bearings (supplied) which makes them free running. Instructions are reasonably good, and it pays to have a dry run first if you are not familiar with these kits. I can build a 4 wheel wagon in well under an hour but I have had a lot of practice..
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
Old shed

Old shed is on a distinguished road

I suppose accuracy is the main thing not only for appearance but to make them run well on the track. Are they supplied with wheels and if so are they metal or plastic
Old shed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
jaysix

jaysix is on a distinguished road

hi oldshed
i have built virtually the whole parkside range and ratio (both now owened by peco)plus many variations of the same.also most of the dapol and cambrian range. i have found both parkside and ratio good quality and easy to build . the latter two are also good but some of the molds do tend to warp and if care not taken will produce an uneven model
bye any of the basic model and give it a go .the tools required are a model knife,small files,abrasive cloths,a selection of small drill bit and holder,square and straight edge and a set of small tweezers .also as sugested by ld&cr use liquited poly
jaysix
jaysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

Metal wheels (insulated of course) are included in the Parkside Kits.
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote