Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Scenery

Scenery Help with layout scenics

Old 27-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
growler

growler is on a distinguished road
Default Backscenes n or oo guage

I am looking at buying a backscene for my depot which is 8ft long. I have searched on eBay and seen high quality prints from I D that are suitable. My layout is oo guage and based in Scotland. I have a spare 9mm plywood board that is 8ft by 8" that I would like to use for the backscene. Looking at the oo guage range they vary from 12-15" high and if cut down would look out of place. So I am thinking of using n guage hills & dales which is 10ft x 9" so would only have to loose 1" in height. Because this backscene as quite a bit of grass at the front I was thinking it wouldn't look out of guage because the hills are in the distance.
growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hi growler - I have ID Backscenes - Hills and Dales on my layout Wykeham (see members layouts). I have the 15" high ones - the ten foot length comes in two five foot pieces. There is a small white border which they suggest you cut off (especially the ends that butt join). I have used the self-adhesive version (Premium), which I'm not to happy with - nice picture, but I have a number of air-bubbles come up between the backscene and its plywood mount - my backscene boards are screwed to the wall and not mounted to the layout boards at all. I primed the ply with diluted PVA. I think if I were to do it again (and I might!) I would use the standard version and use wallpaper paste. I have a Metcalfe retaining wall along the bottom of the backscene which looks ok. I think you would need something at the bottom of the backscene just to distance it from the track.

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 03-11-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
growler

Thanks for the information Bulliedboy as that was going to be next question about applying to the board. Last time I used Peco backscenes and used wall paper paste with great results. I'm going to give n guage a go has my layout is only 22" wide.
Old 27-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a good idea as get it right and you have a good illusion of space and depth. You could even mix N gauge and 00 gauge scenery by having the N gauge in the background to further enhance the feeling of depth to things. It is not easy, but get it right and it can really look supurb.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

I have the terraced house one ID401, at 15" high and suggested for 00 it looks massively out of scale
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_db4 View Post
I have the terraced house one ID401, at 15" high and suggested for 00 it looks massively out of scale
Not good. Is OK the other way around, but too large and one may as well bring it to the front of the board and have the layout behind it!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
growler

Decided to buy Hills & Dales in n guage because of the scenery in the background looked more distance away. Called into the model shop and had a look at different types but stuck with my first option. Will found out on Wednesday when I goto my local club.
Old 30-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

The houses are pretty much the same height as a model, so they are to scale, however given that there is grass in front of them on the scene and I have then set it back a few inches with a small rise to it which does give a reasonable impression of depth it makes the houses too large.
It may well get replaced at some time
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote