Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 17-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
eagle125

eagle125 is on a distinguished road
Default Reducing Layout

I knew it would have to happen one day, but i need a bit more storage space so my layout has got to be reduced.... but as is the norm i dont know which bit to do !!!!

Its always discused on here about loft layouts and i do find that i am venturing up the ladder less and less temperature etc etc.
So if anyone got any suggestions feel free i appreciate the advice
Cheers eagle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (776.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (793.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (770.8 KB, 38 views)
eagle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

N gauge, take a revolutionary step. Plenty of people will buy yours. That way, no loft. If you really are up for a challenge, i have just started Z gauge. You only need a coffee table Massive problem, downsizing as end to end layout , which is the way. others have gone. is to me, just a shunting yard, but does of course fit in a small area. Steve runs an N layout, as do several others. Once you discount the loft, unless, like me, you have unlimited space, it becomes hard. Some make like a double bed, hinged to a wall, box affair, others look to sheds/ garages. It is a rock, or a hard place. You have a tough decision. Good luck with what you decide. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

My thoughts:

You've a good sized layout and with a little thought you could use just the central part (photo 2) and use the other two wings for storage. If, however, you're trying to avoid the loft space altogether then you need to think about where any size layout is going to go.

I agree, coffee table or shelf end to ends are essentially shunting layouts no matter how big they are. But maybe it's the modelling of the scenery that is more fun to you than the actual running of the trains. In which case it may be less important to have the ability to run in a loop.

If a loop and running trains is more important then a smaller gauge may be the way to go but you still have to decide where to put it.

As John suggests, garages whilst not ideal do sometimes offer a solution for any scale. Sheds do too, if you have a garden. All options have plus and minuses, only you can decide how much weight to give to each element and then reach your decision.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

Personally I'm not keen on scales below HO/OO size, so perhaps look at an HOe or HOm layout. Tighter curves and spirals simply follow the real thing.

It's also a great reason for a rail holiday in Austria and or Switzerland.

Last edited by Raetiamann; 17-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Pedros

Pedros is on a distinguished road

I, for one find that the majority of stuff stored in my loft lives there for decades without being used and eventually is discarded. The only exceptions being stuff kept for sentimental reasons, which takes up little space. And, of course that painting of me that ages, so that I keep looking young (I wish). But generally speaking, ians advice sounds good to me. You firstly need to sort out what you want from a smaller layout of course and then work towards it.
Pedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

You could just make a smaller layout that is semi portable.
Also, as N gauge has been suggested, another alternative is narrow gauge in either 009 or 0-16.5 forms.
(This is just exploring the possibilities here as a theory).
If one would like to try 009, one has the advantage that one can use the same scenic items as 00 gauge.
If one would like to try 0-16.5, one can use the same gauge width for the wheels, drive mechanisms etc.

009 has an advantage of now having ready to run models. 0-16.5 has the advantages of the larger scale, being easier on ones eyes for painting etc.

N gauge has a good size advantage. The only difficulty can be for some is the smaller size. I will add to this. If one finds N gauge too small, dont consider 009 as it uses the same gauge width so putting the trains on the track is similar to putting an N gauge train on the track.
Those are a few thoughts I have.

The easiest way for you is to just keep to 00 gauge, and we are back to the origional question of which part of the layout you could remove to make space for other things? (Or simply build a new smaller 00 gauge layout. If you do, its a good idea to make it with portability in mind so if you move house or rooms, you can keep the layout without the need to tear down all the work one has previously made.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

Some very interesting thoughts on here Eagle, but what are the main elements of the hobby you enjoy. Once you can determine that, then it will become easier for you to plan the transition.
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

I've seen some great smaller layouts. The key is definitely a suitable track plan.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
eagle125

eagle125 is on a distinguished road

Thank for the input everyone, not made my mind up yet but i may have a decision forced upon me soon and the weather to nice at the moment

Cheers eagle
eagle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with what you decide. All my layouts are in my Table Tennis room, which is a converted loft, which does get a tad warm. I have french windows to let in air, but use in july / aug is minimal. Could move it all to workshops, but heat, just the same. I use a large fan, as necessary. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote