Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Banter68

Banter68 is on a distinguished road
Default wheels and links locking on newly brought Airfix Castle

Hi All,
Have brought an airfix castle on ebay and have tried test running it but it seems to be sliding on the loco, it is tender driven by what I can see and the the links dont move much, is this possibly a lubrication issue or can anyone advise.
Many Thanks.
Banter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Typical problem with tender drive locos - turn it upside down and rotate the driving wheels by hand to find the tight spot and then try to work out what is causing it - usually is down to a coupling or connecting rod (Your "links") getting bent slightly so that it catching on the other rod. Worse case can be a driving wheel having come loose on its axle.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
Banter68

Thanks for reply will check that out am new to modelling etc so will get it sorted,thanks for advice.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

This is propbably caused by the crank pins on the centre driving wheels. They have habit of being pushed inwards when in the post. The pins are push fit from the back of the centre drivers and having a hexigon hed push into hexigon holes on the back sides giving them plenty of clearence for the conecting rods. If they have pushed back a bit everything tighens up.. Common problem on these locos.
Hope that is not as clear as mud.
Joihn

PS just adding on. They are push fit from back of all driving wheels and they all can be pushed in a bit causing stiff motion.

Last edited by Footplate1947; 08-04-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Banter68

Smile

Cheers for that info can you advise how I can rectify it, do I need to pull the pins out a bit.
Cheers
Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter68 View Post
Cheers for that info can you advise how I can rectify it, do I need to pull the pins out a bit.
Cheers
Look at backs of wheels and if they are pushed in you will see the hexicon heads showing. You have to gently ease them back into their hexicon seats with tip of a very small screwdriver or similar tool. You may have to turn the pin using small pair of pointed pliers to line up the hexicon head to the seats.. Perhapse the flat end of a nale file or something. They normally stay in place unless somebody pushes them back picking up the loco with their fingers by the motion, Is one way it happens.
John

Last edited by Footplate1947; 08-04-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Banter68

Thumbs down

Hi,
Have looked at loco and oiled motion etc and looked at wheels and motion but cant really see anything catching, the loco tender is powering fine but the loco wheels stick in a certain position, have turned them with fingers and it seems to just catch in one spot then is okay, the tender squeals because its trying to push the loco, the loco wheels are not turning freely in one spot,the loco wheels are the problem or the links, cant seem to get problem sorted unfortunately.
Old 20-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds to me like a wheel quartering issue. The driving wheels on one side of the loco should be as near as possible a quarter of a turn forward or back from the other side of the loco. Do a check as if this is out it will revolve through most of the turn until the con rod squeezes the wheel or wheels that are out of the quartering position.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Banter68

Okay will take a look, if it's out how can I sort it, can you advise please.
Cheers
Old 22-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

It is basically a visual check. If one wheel is out it needs carefully taken off its axle and repositioned taking care the connecting rods etc don't get damaged and checking the wheels are true on the axles and the wheel back to back measurement (Width the wheels are set to) are correct.
A bent connecting rod can also act as if the quartering is out and give similar symptoms, and a buckled wheel on its axle would also give the same issues.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote