Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 21-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #491
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I notice that the BBC now seem to employ wobbly camera shots occasionally. I assume it is being done deliberately, might just be a wobbly cameraperson - very difficult to watch though. I can hardly believe that Steve's video was captured using a mobile phone. Crystal clear images and even more impressive. R-
Old 21-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #492
Maz066

Maz066 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Great video and well taken. Not a zoom in sight.
To explain- just about all amateur videos have the loco taken about a mile away with the camera on full zoom. This distorts the loco and you lose any idea of power and movement. And then as the loco gets nearer they begin to zoom out. It makes the whole thing look false. Please dont zoom. Let the camera show you what is really happening.

There that's my rant for the day
Maz066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #493
Puddles

Puddles is on a distinguished road
Default Filming Trains

i worked in the film industry for thirty years in a lab as a negative cutter and handled a lot of BBC 16mm film. One morning at the end of a long night shift I answered a phone call from a very irate customer who had put his camera between the tracks of an oncoming express to get the effect of a train coming towards him and passing over the top of him He was complaining that he had viewed his print and the train went backwards over head and away from him and we had printed his film wrongly.i new exactly what had gone wrong and told him that he had put his camera upside down between the tracks,after a short silence he said o yes I did. I only new the answer to the problem as a few weeks earlier another guy was filming on a tractor that was going backwards filling in the furrows,he hand held the camera over the edge of the tractor upside down.
Old 22-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #494
Steve M
Monkey Puzzler

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Has today been a day for dodgy advice on the forum? It feels like it to me.

Perhaps now is a timely reminder to all readers looking for help that whilst all advice is offered in good faith and with the best of intentions, it should also be caveated with "it worked for me, but may not work in the particular conditions on your layout."
Old 23-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #495
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Has today been a day for dodgy advice on the forum? It feels like it to me.

Perhaps now is a timely reminder to all readers looking for help that whilst all advice is offered in good faith and with the best of intentions, it should also be caveated with "it worked for me, but may not work in the particular conditions on your layout."
People come on here for advice, like (i'm building a new layout with modern kit) then get quoted Hornby DC 1980 figures, yesterday's instance a incline 1 in 30 is total cobblers it wasn't 30 plus years ago it is now for modern trains, people need to get out more things have changed......for the better i might add...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #496
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Think the 1:30 idea is also because it looks more realistic Tinker.
Old 23-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #497
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Think the 1:30 idea is also because it looks more realistic Tinker.
So why don't oo Guade scale loco's weigh in at Ton or more with the likes of a real class 47 weighing in at 125+ tonnes, scales with models get a lot shorter to the the size of the layouts this is not about scale but OO Gauge improvements, DCC, the newer Bachmann double ended electric motors(don't have a Hornby to look at) all go to improving pulling power, gradients on the real thing the only one i know precisely in the North London Incline goes from Camden Town to Kings Cross Good and Minerals Yard in Camden Signal Box its says its 1 in 37 a pair of class 33's went down with 2150 tonnes back up with 400 tones, progress in the shape of a Class 56 i went up the incline with 70 HBA/HBE empty Hoppers train weight 1050 tones thats like the DCC of real Loco's, the later 60's 66's are better still..walk along side a class 60 with a slippery rail the wheels slip for maybe 3" then the traction control takes over and they get loads up inclines never dream't off in the 60's much like the model DCC loc, a straight incline in OO Guage could be right down to 1 in 15 and a loco plus coaches will get up it.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #498
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

I agree with what you are saying but if a gradient is too steep it looks wrong on the main layout. On a helix or down to a fiddle yard out of sight it makes no difference. You want your layout to look as real as possible I'd have thought. That's why we try and use large radius curves, it looks better.
Old 23-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #499
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
I agree with what you are saying but if a gradient is too steep it looks wrong on the main layout. On a helix or down to a fiddle yard out of sight it makes no difference. You want your layout to look as real as possible I'd have thought. That's why we try and use large radius curves, it looks better.
I can see both sides of this argument having merit, but unfortunately it often comes down to the space available, which for the majority of us is vastly inadequate to portray a model that looks like the real thing. It is for that reason I ruled out multi level tracks and main line stations. I felt that the best I could achieve was a small branch line terminus that can take a small loco and 2 coaches or an autocoach pair. After gaining access to a bigger space, I made a decision many months ago to incorporate a double main line to the layout (still in early stage of development) but for the reasons above it will just be for longer trains to "pass by" without stopping.

There is no right or wrong way to build a model railway, it is entirely up to the individual. However there are things that work and things that don't work, so as long as we have the knowledge to make our own layout "work" for us then this forum along with others can help the people new to the hobby. If they then choose to disregard proven practical advice then they will either find out why it was given OR in Tinker's example find that there ARE ways to overcome certain problems. The hobby is developing all the time and what was regarded as impossible years ago is common place today.
Old 23-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #500
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

I'd like an incline but just don't have space. By the time it had gone up it would have to come down again. Did consider having a separate high level branch line but in the end just couldn't be bothered.