Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 20-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
DrGadget

DrGadget is on a distinguished road
Default Track Plans - 6th Edition

Hi all.
I'm just getting back into model railways after a very long absence.
I have started to purchase bits and bobs and have a bit of track, mostly curved sections of varying sizes.

I am looking for a copy of Hornby Track Plans 6th Edition.

There is a particular layout I would like to try building in that book but I do not have a copy. Does anyone here have a copy either physical (preferred) or digital?

I have tried to use CAD design software but cannot get on with it.

Dr G.
DrGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Didn't I see you on the Hornby forum?
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
alfaz-di-pi

alfaz-di-pi is on a distinguished road

Hi the best I can do is the 4th edition. Try the scram program for track layout design.
Albert.
alfaz-di-pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
MATCH

MATCH is on a distinguished road

There is a good site here

http://www.freetrackplans.com/Hornby-Plans.php

for track plans don't know if this helps at all?

I'm just going to the shed, I may be gone for some time.
MATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
wittershamroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGadget View Post
Hi all.

I am looking for a copy of Hornby Track Plans 6th Edition.
I have tried to use CAD design software but cannot get on with it.

Dr G.
I use Hornby Virtual Railway2, or HVR2 for short. It is the easiest layout program to use, but it only features Hornby track, buildings and rolling stock. This would not matter to you since you are trying to re-create a Hornby layout from an old track plans book.

I followed the method you are using - I got an old track plans book, made a mock up of the layout on the computer, and then I built the real layout according to this plan.

The problem with those old plans, is they use first radius track which modern rolling stock and locos won't go round. For this reason, I had to make the layout larger, which forced me to simplify the track plan. The problem is that those old plans used first radius on the inner track, and second radius on the outer track. The points are 2nd radius. If you make the inner track second radius, then the outer track has to be 3rd radius, and there are currently no 3rd radius points in the Hornby/Setrack range.

This is the old layout from which I took inspiration:

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OONew/layou...ructionsB.html

Here is a video, which gives you a cab ride on the layout I made. It then switches to a view of the Virtual Railway from the same perspective, and gives you a cab ride on the Virtual railway, and finally switches back to the real layout.

However, having built this layout, I think I have made a mistake. I put a terminus station inside the oval. In C.J. Freezer's "Model Railway Design Manual", he warns you not to do this on page 30.

I think I would get the current Hornby Trackplans book from your local model shop for ideas.
Old 18-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
kiwi

kiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittershamroad View Post
The problem with those old plans, is they use first radius track which modern rolling stock and locos won't go round.
Thats incredibly valuable information to know. I must be hallucinating as I watch my modern rolling stock go round my first radius track. Have you told Hornby about this revelation? They will surely want to know so they can stop selling these useless track sections.

Sorry if I sound facetious, but it is these sort of comments that confuse a lot of beginners. I get that 1st radius curves are less-than-ideal but to tell someone that their locos wont go round them, WITHOUT QUALIFYING THE STATEMENT ACCURATELY, is not helpful IMHO.

Something like "The problem with those old plans, is they use first radius track which SOME modern rolling stock and locos won't go round." would have been a slightly better statement.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Kiwi, somebody talking sense. Good on you mate.
Old 18-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
wittershamroad

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

Sorry if I sound facetious, but it is these sort of comments that confuse a lot of beginners. I get that 1st radius curves are less-than-ideal but to tell someone that their locos wont go round them, WITHOUT QUALIFYING THE STATEMENT ACCURATELY, is not helpful IMHO.

Something like "The problem with those old plans, is they use first radius track which SOME modern rolling stock and locos won't go round." would have been a slightly better statement.
The man in the model shop told me he has been advised by Hornby that the trade intends to discontinue 1st radius track. The reason why Hornby has given this advice to modellers is it that although some modern rolling can take a 1st radius curve, it will not clear line side objects.

To take a specific example. The Eurostar train will go round a 1st Radius curve, but it will hit the level crossing barrier if you fit it as indicated on the trakmat. That's why modern train sets are supplied without 1st radius curves.

Some modern locos and rolling stock will pass a 1st radius curve, it is true, but this may cause undue wear on flanges, side rods, valve gear etc.

If you have bought high detail modern models, then you don't want train set curves on your layout.

If your aim is to re-create a 1970's Hornby layout from an old track plan, and you intend to run models from that era, then it will be all right, of course.
Old 18-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Hornby use 1st rad on their trackmats. They'll have to re-design them. Do you think they'll re-number 2 3 and 4, 1 2and 3?
Old 18-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
wittershamroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Hornby use 1st rad on their trackmats. They'll have to re-design them. Do you think they'll re-number 2 3 and 4, 1 2and 3?
There are rumours of a new trakmat. Bachmann does not have 1st radius track in its range. The smallest radius they do is called 2nd radius, and this will be true for Hornby and Peco, if they discontinue 1st radius.

If you do want some 1st radius track, I would buy some before it becomes unavailable.