Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > On The Workbench

On The Workbench A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc

Old 19-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #161
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Springs in the air!

Will just show what I bought ready for possible use on my layout. Springs! Only wanted a few but this whole set was only a few pounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170419_230203.jpg (307.3 KB, 16 views)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:19 AM   #162
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

I have a mixed box plus 2 e-bay packages, you can never have enough springs......
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #163
Mountain Goat

They are one of those things that can be really useful when you need them but could hang around for years as spares if you don't. The last few days my thoughts have been with the possibilities of making a lever frame with levers for my pointwork and signalling. I have bought three micro switches ready for use with the point frogs as three points have live frogs, so my first thoughts are towards the point levers themselves. The first material hanging around that came to mind is the humble bicycle spoke. It has possibilities as can be flattened with a hammer and drilled if needed. Then I have brass sheet but one is a tad too thick and one too thin. I could use PCB and this has possibilities or also tin. I will experiment a bit when I have a little time to focus on it.
Old 24-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #164
Mountain Goat

Default Corrugated Iron Sheets.

For a while I've been considering how best to make corrugated iron sheets. It may be possible to buy them, but I want something free or very cheap!
This morning while in bed I my thoughts went to the iron sheets again. I was thinking along the lines of using bicycle spokes to make the corrugations via using a hammer which in theory could work if using tin, and then my eyes gazed upon an old rusty piece of flat tin I had stored awaiting use for building waggons. I saw corrugations built into the old tin can so the can has more strength. While the corrugations may not be perfect scale they will more then give the right look for my buildings! Here is a picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170424_105535.jpg (253.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 24-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #165
Mr Bones

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

A cunning plan, but a bit concerned as to why you have an old rusty piece of flat tin near your bed or did you sleep in the shed/garage
Old 24-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #166
Mountain Goat

Well. While I have no layout set up in my bedroom it does double up as a model railway workshop at times, I am one that needs some sort of project on the go even if I'm not working on it for ages, as I'd get bored if I didn't have anything to think about!
The rusty tin is kept as material for making more waggons with. For safety the corners have been cut round so I'm unlikely to cut myself on it. I keep a few bits and pieces as materials to work with when I need them. With scratch building, with the free materials available, there is a fine line between having available material to work with and hoarding, but at least it is all with a small scale!
Old 26-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #167
Mountain Goat

Just added this picture of my Guagemaster panel mounted controller as I was recently asked a question by a member on the subject and I happened to find a close up picture as an example.
I will give brief details. It is a Guagemaster model U which is a DC panel mounted controller. I originally went to buy a model 100 for the simplicity of a single speed control knob and a direction switch, but the shopkeeper didn't have one in stock. He offered me this model U at a price I couldn't resist, which I am very grateful for.
This one has a switchable simulator and brake. I've had a double version of this in the past. It added a fun aspect but I must admit that most of the time I used it, I had the simulator part switched off as for shunting or a more direct feel, nothing beats a simple speed control knob on its own.
I've not yet wired up my layout as I need to make a control panel, and as this type of controller needs a separate power supply, I plan to run it from a sealed 12 volt battery designed for low powered use like camping etc. In the past I've run a Gaugemaster handheld controller from a battery supply with success so it should work here. If it does not, (As ideally it is designed for 16-18 volts AC), I will resort to a spare transformer as I have one or two spare stored away somewhere.
I hope this shows to effect what a panel mounted DC controller looks like when mounted into the train board. I may reposition it in a separate panel if I need to as it is rather close to the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170417_161131.jpg (527.7 KB, 11 views)