Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 14-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #111
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I always carry plasters just in case.
Old 15-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #112
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Sorry no pictures today, the builders worked on until it went dark. The good news is that this phase of the mancave is drawing to a close. The concrete base was finished today with the laying of the single course of bricks on which the garage will stand. The remainder of the day was taken up with the final excavation to establish the paths base level and correct some mistakes the previous owners made and connecting the drainage. Tomorrow I envisage the drainage will be completed and work will start on the walkways that disappeared when the old base was lifted.

SWAMBO has decided we are going for a tarmac driveway now that ours is beyond use. I have arranged with the builder to lift all the broken and cracked paving and remove it with the remaining spoil and to excavate the drive for a suitable layer of crusher run hardcore which once compressed will give us a surface to walk on and drive the car on until we can get a contractor to topcoat it with 2 layers of tarmac.

WTD you have only got till Friday to collect your crazy paving.

After nearly three weeks of wading through mud with this phase nearly complete the excitement is re-building and Christmas cannot come quick enough knowing soon after a brand new garage/workshop/playroom will be standing on that expanse of concrete.

Richard
Tricky Dicky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #113
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Tarmac drive a good choice. We had block paving at our last house (difficult to remove oil stains) and a crunchy gravel one here (needs constant weeding).

Just be careful if they turn up in unmarked white van pulling a caravan, and have strong Irish accents
Old 16-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #114
Tricky Dicky

Uuuuh! Your in trouble now Terry SWAMBO is Irish. Only kidding she would be the first to warn me about the white van caravan towing type. Our builder has a regular Tarmac layer who lives locally and if he is anything like our builder then he will be good enough for me.

Richard
Old 16-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #115
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Tarmac drives do need weeding. Only takes soil to wash down and seeds grow. I do admit that it is one of the best surfaces to use if funds permit, and it is long lasting as well. The tarmac driveway here is almost as olds as I am and it is still holding up strong. There are signs here and there of age but fair play. It is holding up well.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #116
Tricky Dicky

No pictures again today mainly because they worked till the light went you may have to wait until they have finished now. The project was to be completed by tomorrow but looks like it will extend to next Monday mainly because of putting right mistakes made by the previous owner. The latter had created paths and patios by back filling soil against the conservatory in particular which extended above the damp course, how we have not had damp problems I do not know. Anyway it's all been put right now but it had ramifications for draining the new walkways and combining it with drainage for the garage so this is what has delayed them. Most of the paths will be complete by tomorrow as will the drainage with perhaps a few finishing touches left till Monday. Another wagon load of spoil went today mainly from the pathway and drainage excavations, whilst hardcore arrived for the base of the new drive and the crazy paving went with the rest of the spoil.

Richard
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #117
Tricky Dicky

I think I might have got the base a bit oversize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.8 KB, 15 views)
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #118
Tricky Dicky

Almost finished just one pathway to complete about half a dozen paving slabs to go and a final connection to the drainage and a few bits of concrete patching to do so Monday should see the job complete. Most of the heavy plant has been taken off site just a cement mixer remaining. The last wagon load of spoil went today in total they removed 120 tonne of spoil and concrete. At least a hundred tonne of it was levelling the sub-base for the garage base and the footings for the walls and getting the pathways below the damp course level, the previous owner allowed the conservatory builders to backfill against the conservatory and house way above the DPC instead of removing the spoil. It's a wonder we did not have any damp penetration. Anyway it's all done properly now

The final photo for today is a view of the front. The crazy paving has been removed and a temporary surface consisting of hardcore has been put down in preparation for tarmacing. As I suspect the garage erection crew will want to bring the delivery truck up as near the base as possible we will not get it surfaced until all heavy vehicles have finished using the drive. Whilst the front lawn was used for spoil we asked the grab wagon drivers to remove it since it was mainly moss anyway and we want to simplify it as it had several dinky flower beds we kept falling into every time we stepped out of the car. So once the drive is in we will be going for an all lawn easy care front with a mowing strip so we do not have to constantly trim the edges.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.4 KB, 13 views)
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #119
Ginger The Hutt
The Ginger One

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
Is that a condensed man cave? Just add water?
Ginger The Hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #120
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
You ordered it in the wrong scale!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote