Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 11-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #101
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Z did not interest me, until i acquired some. Fascinating, so much detail, but very pricey. 00, much cheaper than N, and much more secondhand available. john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #102
Lexicaltje

Lexicaltje is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Z did not interest me, until i acquired some. Fascinating, so much detail, but very pricey. 00, much cheaper than N, and much more secondhand available. john
This is a good point i guess. There is a lot more stuff available in 00 gauge. I don't really know how much N gauge stuff costs though i have to say.
Lexicaltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #103
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Not sure I agree with on price, John. OO and N are very similar in price, some variation but what you lose on one model you may gain on another.
The Coronation class for example is about 150 in N but in OO it’s around 200.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #104
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

I can't really get my head round N gauge - it always seems a bit 'toy like' yet needs great skill and patience and is therefore not a toy. As we all get older, the larger scales have their advantages. If I were you I would go back to OO, have an end to end layout with lots of shunting possibilities and then get cracking otherwise you'll end up chopping and changing, getting frustrated then getting nothing done. Go with your original intentions - experience of life has taught me that this is more often than not the way - layouts or otherwise.
Michael P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #105
Lexicaltje

Lexicaltje is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
I can't really get my head round N gauge - it always seems a bit 'toy like' yet needs great skill and patience and is therefore not a toy. As we all get older, the larger scales have their advantages. If I were you I would go back to OO, have an end to end layout with lots of shunting possibilities and then get cracking otherwise you'll end up chopping and changing, getting frustrated then getting nothing done. Go with your original intentions - experience of life has taught me that this is more often than not the way - layouts or otherwise.
Fully agree with you on this to be honest.
Lexicaltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #106
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Not sure I agree with on price, John. OO and N are very similar in price, some variation but what you lose on one model you may gain on another.
The Coronation class for example is about 150 in N but in OO it’s around 200.
When I tried N gauge Graham Farish was not owned by Bachmann. The locos were very expensive when compared to 00 gauge but the wagons and coaches etc were quite a lot cheaper. Back then it all worked out as roughly similar to 00 gauge, and the main advantage is one could buy lengths of wagons or coaches in bargan packs of three the same for cheaper again..
Today, I see the prices as being fairly similar to 00 gauge, which to be honest, both 00 and N gauge are no longer the budget scales to model in.
I think that though it is an expensive way to try out different options of scales and gauges, it is worth the experience of doing it. It is by doing this that we get to know our personal favourites, and the advantages and disadvantages they have from a personal point of view, though the only issue against doing this is selling on the items we no longer need.
I've tried N, 009 (H0e), 00 and H0, 0-16.5 and SM32, and though I've not actually had 0 gauge, I've had the experienced of 0 at a model railway club a couple of decades ago, so I've experienced its running qualities, even if they were usually more crude Lima models...

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 12-05-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #107
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

Well a pretty major update.

I've been in negotiations for the shed placement and obviously the layout it would hold.
As it would require the loss of a raised bed which is currently full of potatoes, which wont be fully harvested until September I am having to put project shed on hold until the end of the potato season.

That being said I am still going ahead with my current 00 shunting layout, I am also as above moving onto N now which I have increased my collection of rolling stock at the weekend at an exhibition in Manchester, and just this morning I installed my first electrofrog point onto my testing layout.

I will be designing a double loop 2/3rd radius track with sidings and scenery for use until that time, I do not want to stagnate or i'll just get annoyed at myself.

Will update as it goes forward.
Old 21-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #108
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice. You could try a loco or coach kit just to do some modelling/learn new skills etc. (Is how I got into 0-16.5. I saw a lovely looking loco kit. I bought it. A year or two later I had time on my hands and started to build it. The rest is history!)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #109
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

I've had a bit of a play with a layout I could do in the space I have available in N for now. (attached)

It is on a board 1200mm by 850mm, not huge but it allows me some decent scenery and nothing below 2nd radius. two loops with passing points on another by a station kind of area.

The design I found online and modified from what I had seen with extra sidings and where certain points sit on the layout, It is preliminary but I have scope in this size of board.

Any hints and tips would be appreciated, it does look kind of trainset but with some decent scenery and a covered tunnel section it will look pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-05-22.jpg (17.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 22-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #110
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

Impressive negotiating skills - it took me 3 years and many brownie points to get agreement for a layout extension.

Won't post potato harvest mean winter is approaching and shed building is difficult? Why not dig up the bed when er in doors is out and then buy potatoes from Asda et al - much cheaper and far less effort! Once the bed is gone its gone as they say in Aldi. (Disclaimer - other supermarkets also sell potatoes).
Michael P is online now   Reply With Quote