Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 03-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
kridders

kridders is on a distinguished road
Default Peco double slips

I am turning my mind to the fiddle yard for my layout, and have added a Peco double slip. I will use the insulfrog version.

Am I right in thinking I only two point motors and is it easy to wire?

Thanks
kridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kridders View Post
I am turning my mind to the fiddle yard for my layout, and have added a Peco double slip. I will use the insulfrog version.

Am I right in thinking I only two point motors and is it easy to wire?

Thanks
Yes. Just two point motors are needed. With DC wiring, a double slip is the same as two points back to back so it is a feed point for a track section if using the usual cab control method. The double slip outer rails become the same feed point as the centre of two back to back standard points.
DCC aim is for all tracks to be live so it is just as easy. You start by making sure the outer rails have current, and then bridge wires to feed the other rails with their corresponding sides. I hope it makes sense. Is easier to do then explain!
P.S. This is for wiring up the insulfrog versions.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 04-10-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

I recall that when installing your two point motors - as you look down on your double-slip the point motor installed on the left operates the point blades on the right and vice versa - hope that's clear. It's all in Brian Lamberts book.

Disregard this entry - I wasn't awake when I wrote it. I was thinking of frog wiring.

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 04-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
kridders

Thanks everyone. It will be DC control I haven't got Brian Lambert's book but hope to find the relevant pages on line!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
kridders

Just looked on line at Brian Lambert's wiring instructions for electrofrog double slip wiring. What extra feeds are required for insulfrog double slip? Also what kind of rail joiners do I need to oin the double slip to the rest of the track? The other points will be insulfrog.
Finally does every siding need an independant feed. Sorry I haven't got a thumb nail picture to upload. What is the best way to upload pictures to the ofrum?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
peep peep!

peep peep! is on a distinguished road

Have a look at Everard Junction on youtube, I'm pretty certain he explains wiring double slips.
peep peep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

I have a double slip at the entrance to a small loco yard. I have it wired up to a diode matrix so that the whole route is set rather than trying to work out which route the double slip is set for. This is on DCC with the outputs from the point decoder simply working relays (two per output) which then connect the supply from a CDU through the diode matrix to the point motors.
The routes are from the single road shed, turntable, or siding to either the coaling stage or the single track branch line so for example address 8 either sets a route from the shed to coaling stage or branch line ( setting the route to the coaling stage also resets the point on the branch line to the branch).
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 AM   #8
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

With insulfrog doubleslips on DC, they are to be wired up as a feed point to a track section for a cab control wiring. (Cab control wiring is normally the way to wire up DC unless one just has a simple trainset oval or something very simple).
A feed point is just a term I (And others) use to say solder the wires going to the cab control switch to thew track here. I hope this helps. Point as in a position rather then as a turnout.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-10-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

For Point motor operation.. Assuming solenoid point motors are to be used - Seep, Peco or Hornby etc. then wire exactly as per a single end point but times 2. The basic wiring for solenoid point motor operation is identical for Insulated frog or the Electrofrog DS. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DS%20...wiring-2-1.gif Note: Where two push buttons per end are shown they can be replaced by one Sprung to centre off (On)-Off-(On) style toggle switch at each end of the DS drawing on the control panel - Two of these centre off switches would be used instead of four PBs. Remember... Left hand PBs or switch works right hand side point motor and the right hand side PBs or switch works the left hand point motor.

For rail feeding... Treat any DS as two conventional points laid single line end to single line end. If insulated frog points then quite often nothing is done, though usually for improved rail feeding performance a pair of rail feeds are added onto the two rails linking the two points together. See drawings below.

I'll assume for the moment that the Insulated frog DS will have one DC controller in any direction through it. If so, then basically nothing needs to be done, no IRJs or any other feeds are necessary. However for best rail power feeding performance add to the two outer stock rails of the DS (Stock Rails = The two curved fixed rails on the outside of the point) dropper wires that then go to the correct polarity feeds coming from the DC controller.

If the DS is to work with and its rails able to connect onto two separate DC controllers, you then add IRJs to the all the rail ends and feed the two controllers into each end wiring tags of a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch. The two middle tags of the switch are wired to the DS outer Stock rails. Then you will have to set the switch for whichever controller is to allow movements into, over and out of the DS. Of course with some careful planning the DPDT manual switch can be removed and switching fitted to the point motors to allow the polarity feeding to automatically take place.
Basic idea of rail feeding...

And on a DS..
Old 09-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
kridders

Thanks FlashBang. I am not sure how many controllers I will be using - possibly one for the whole yard. It looks easier! Will get help.