Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 23-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road
Default Garage Insulation

I am insulating my garage for model railway use. I have got three walls done with batoning and 1" insulation board held against the wall with 18mm OSB.
An insulated roller door has been fitted to replace the droughty up and over door (it had gaps all over).
The floor has batoning with 1" insulation board in between and topped with 1" hard wood ply, done by shorter no 1 son today.
Tomorrow (sunday the 24th) my other son (taller) will do the ceiling with 2" insulation board held up with 18mm OSB.
Hopefully then I can get some underlay and carpet down (ex domestic duty stuff (well done SWMBO)) and spray the walls with left over light coloured paint to improve lighting. Is there anything else I need to consider before assembling things?

I will be on holidays from Tuesday for a week.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor of garage insulated.jpg (81.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg up & over door.JPG (75.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg insulated roller garage door.jpg (97.9 KB, 24 views)
mijj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #2
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

That's looking good. I'm assuming that electrics and lighting are both catered for.

That would just leave the layout, a beer fridge and a TV to complete the man cave
Old 24-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim.....have you planned your mains electrics, are you leaving existing sockets in situ and cutting OSB around them or are you running further circuits?.......also lighting will need improving.......there are IEE regulations re wiring in the garage you may need professional guidance......HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
mijj

@Mr Bones.
Good thinking, I had forgotten the beer fridge and thought I could manage just on the whiskey .

@Cadman.
We have cut around the twin 13A outlets and I have got a remote to switch on the electics to save any ducking/diving for the wall switches.
The garage electrics was signed off by the electrician fitting the garage electrics. Good thinking about the lamps. I'll check the lighting needed when I've got some paint on the walls/ceiling.
Thanks both for the replies and suggestions.
Jim.
Old 25-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Ginger The Hutt
The Ginger One

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road

One minor thing I would suggest: leaving an extension wire plugged in. If your sockets are only accessible using a remote control, chances are you'll need a power supply for something else and then it'll be a PITA to get to your sockets. My sockets are somewhat buried at arms reach when down on my hands and knees. The only socket I use these days is the trailing socket I plugged in to use 'in emergencies - if I ever needed a spare socket'
Ginger The Hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
mijj

Hi GTH, the plugs are now in easy reach (after the electrition had refitted them) but still did not want anything harder than a remote to do the switching.
I need to paint the walls/ceiling, fit carpet, instal and fill up beer fridge and switch on the tele ........ I am supposed to go on holiday tomorrow but I want to stay home and play trains, but SWMBO says N-O, spells no. Spoilsport

My tall son worked from 10:45 'til 22:20 yesterday and completed the insulation . After the holls I will set to on the rest of the work.
Jim.
Old 29-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Ginger The Hutt
The Ginger One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
Hi GTH, the plugs are now in easy reach (after the electrition had refitted them) but still did not want anything harder than a remote to do the switching.
I need to paint the walls/ceiling, fit carpet, instal and fill up beer fridge and switch on the tele ........ I am supposed to go on holiday tomorrow but I want to stay home and play trains, but SWMBO says N-O, spells no. Spoilsport

My tall son worked from 10:45 'til 22:20 yesterday and completed the insulation . After the holls I will set to on the rest of the work.
Jim.
Plugs: Cool! At least if you need to change them around, it's not a task and a half.
Painting: I used lining paper in mine. Quicker than painting and leaves a more uniform colour. (In my opinion)
SWMBO: Usually holds the aces... Best not to argue... Perhaps on your holibobs, you'll find a nice train shop to browse through...
Old 04-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
mijj

Ok back from holls and tidied the trainspace , the vacuum cleaner needed a new bag because of all the polystyren balls.
On holls I wasn't able to view any model trains as time was spent with older sister looking at Hever castle and gardens (SWMBO uses a power chair and they are not suitable for such an old building). It is always interesting to see how the others spent our tax money and profits whilst my ancient rellies were down the mines for a few pence a day .
I did measure up a couple of cills for the foor/walls but left it at that for today.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00insulated garage.jpg (82.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
Ginger The Hutt
The Ginger One

Very neat and tidy.

Looks good!