Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > O, G & other large scales

O, G & other large scales Large scale model railway topics

Old 15-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
londonbridge
Random Modelist

londonbridge is on a distinguished road

Mamod still exists! And works WTD Tinker, I like tools very much but...

scratchbuilt, your Edrig sounds lovely ( and probably *sounds lovely too )

Thanks for all the ideas.
londonbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #12
Captain Bubble

Captain Bubble is on a distinguished road

My Uncle and Aunt gave me a Mamod TE1 model traction engine about 1965 when I was about 10. I still have it and it still works perfectly. My Dad used to have a live steam O Gauge loco among his old Hornby clockwork trains (which I still have) bust sadly the steam one has been lost.
Captain Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
londonbridge
Random Modelist

londonbridge is on a distinguished road

Thank you Capt.
londonbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
Jimo

Jimo is on a distinguished road

Scratchbuilt, while pondering over our N gauge layout, HOGWARTS ADVENTURE I happened to look over a steam website.... that was it! I found an Accucraft EDRIG probably several years old but still 'new-in-box', of course I bought it, then some SM32 rail, now after my recent 2nd heart attack I have to work out some kind of track layout - but the body at 80 doesn't like bending, I've added a 'Chuffer' and run the engine on rolling road and it's super.
Now I have to buy carriages etc. that could prove expensive.

Jim
Jimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #15
Jimo

Delete last message as it was duplicated in error. Mod... Post deleted

Ran my Accucraft Edrig a week ago on a track belonging to another 16mm member, it ran wonderfully so I've now built two carriage kits from I P Engineering.co.uk, fast build and pretty good value;

Trolling the web t'other day I came across a new MSS live steam loco complete with tender plus one carriage complete with 32mm track, price was reasonable so I bought it to add to my collection (it arrives tomorrow) and is fired by solid meth pellets that should give about an 8 to 10 minute run, surprising how many brand new MSS live steam products there are available....

Jim

Last edited by Jimo; 25-09-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #16
Jimo

On my second steaming of Edrig calamity struck.... while I was firing up I became involved in conversation with another member that took my mind off the work in hand, with steam raised I let Edrig go but had not turned down the gas burner... steam rose to a very high level accompanied by much blue smoke from all around the loco, after three circuits of the large track Edrig appeared to derail, inspection revealed that the extreme heat had caused the metal front tires to de-bond with the tires leaving the loco.

I searched the web for a pair of new wheels and was lucky enough to find them at Accucraft UK ( the company say in their blurb that they only deal with the Trade) who were very good with the prompt supply. While I was searching the web looking for the wheels I came across a lovely red Roundhouse 0-6-0 LADY ANNE that had been advertised for just ten minutes, it is now a part of my collection!
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2041.jpg (541.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Jimo; 02-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #17
Jimo

And EDRIG, a really lovely tank loco based on a Hunslet design I believe, repairing the wheel problem looked difficult at first, after releasing various Alan screws (2 sizes) the con-rods that were a very tight fit needed releasing, space is very limited between rods but I made up a piece of 5mm thick dural 3/4" wide x 2-1/2" long having a 6mm slot x 5/8" long at one end, this was then ground to make the end into a 'V' and was slid between the frame and the rod(s) and a smart punch with a hammer released the rods, the axle was then free to be lifted off, its bearings removed followed by the wheels; after all parts had been cleaned the new wheels were fitted, the job was simpler than expected with no crank timing involved.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1990.jpg (536.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1991.jpg (572.0 KB, 7 views)