Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Tools

Tools Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
collectors

collectors is on a distinguished road
Default Making a mimic/control board

Hi, just some help for making a mimic/control board. Being a skinflint, i am always looking to save cost & was looking at ways to make a mimic board.
I thought the hardest part would be a good looking map of my layout, but thanks to Hornby Railmaster they have a great track designer free "For a limited period unless you buy it".
So i made up my layout & took a screen shot & then removed the background of the image to make it look better. I then went to vister print & they give you the facility "on line" to do the rest by just adding text boxes & your own image, like i have done in the photo. They even had some train logos that you can add. "Top right of photo"
Now i can use this photo in between a 3mm piece of aluminum & a 3mm piece of plexiglass/perspex for my panel. Also note that i put crosses on the template as a guide for the drill holes.
The reason i might use 3mm materials is the shank on the switches are only 10mm long. Cost at Vistaprint 4.20 + p&p for a 440mm x 287mm which I thought it was a good result.? The other thing is Vistaprint hold onto your image, so if you need to do a tweek at a later date, its still on record.

collectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectors View Post
thanks to Hornby Railmaster they have a great track designer free "For a limited period unless you buy it".
Vistaprint hold onto your image, so if you need to do a tweek at a later date, its still on record.
Thanks for that. It may prove to be very useful at a later date .
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

I thought of doing that but discovered my free trial of Railmaster had expired!
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote