Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > General Modelling

General Modelling Use this area for modelling items that don't fit elsewhere

Old 19-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road
Default NEM coupling upgrade

I have quite a few older coaches with plastic couplings.
I prefer them metal so I can use my magnets to uncouple them.

As they are quite old they don't have NEM sockets.
Is it possible to entirely replace the older coupling for a newer NEM set?
They appear to be attached directly to the chassis of the coach
Old 19-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

You can get NEM sockets that can be screwed/bolted in place from

https://www.dccsupplies.com/search/results/?search=Nem When they have them in stock.

Depending on your ability you can fit any type of coupling to any type of rolling stock. You just need a bit of ingenuity. Different rolling stock need a different method. You need to work out the best way for you to do it.
Old 19-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

Thanks WTD.

As it happens I am out walking my dog right now after a hobby filled morning of woodwork and swearing when I cut the wrong thing haha.
Old 19-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Though they are the wider type of tension lock couplings, the older Hornby and later Triang couplings were made of metal and they were less visible then the wider plastic couplings. Could these be the answer? They do behave themselves when in use as long as ones not trying to couple them to the very small tension locks. A middle sized tension lock as an in between wagon works a treat!
Anyway. If you can track them down, the older wide metal couplings do tend to blend in better then the plastic types. If you have one on an old wagon takes look of one next to a plastic type and stand back a bit and see what I mean!
Couplings in 00 gauge do tend to be something of a battle! Regardless of looks, it would have been good if the manufacturers all picked just one size and hook length so all the rolling stock being pulled would behave itself better.
Personally I dont like the nem pockets though I like the idea of them. In practice I tend to end up glueing the couplings in as they can often keep falling out of the little triangular design at the other end of the nem part of the socket. I also find that they add a little flex which isn't good when it comes to coupling heights. Then the coaches with nem sockets and close coupling are a bit of a nightmare! I'd rather have wide gaps between coaches then keep needing to send trains back to collect the coaches which have detached, or derailed... But that's another subject!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
twalton1145

twalton1145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post

Couplings in 00 gauge do tend to be something of a battle! Regardless of looks, it would have been good if the manufacturers all picked just one size and hook length so all the rolling stock being pulled would behave itself better.
Personally I dont like the nem pockets though I like the idea of them. In practice I tend to end up glueing the couplings in as they can often keep falling out of the little triangular design at the other end of the nem part of the socket. I also find that they add a little flex which isn't good when it comes to coupling heights. Then the coaches with nem sockets and close coupling are a bit of a nightmare! I'd rather have wide gaps between coaches then keep needing to send trains back to collect the coaches which have detached, or derailed... But that's another subject!
And I thought it was just me!
Ted
twalton1145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

All my rolling stock have narrow tension lock couplings. Iím intrigued as to why some have problems with the pocket coming adrift. I think I added a spot of PVA to two of mine that kept escaping.
Old 20-04-2018, 12:01 AM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

For me it was actually the end that attaches to the wagon rather then the pocket itself. The annoying thing is the plastic is shiney and tends not to like glues if I remember rightly.. Can't remember which wagon it was, but I had re-glued it back more then once. When I get to use my 00 gauge collection again I may eventually find which wagon it was! I hope not though.
Old 20-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Twalton... I never forget when I bought a rake of Bachmann Mk1's when they first came out in 00 gauge. I bought eight of them. They were expensive. £17.99 each when most new coaches were around £8.99-11.99 each. I eagerly took them home and tried them on the layout. I was so disappointed as they just didnt like my pointwork or my curves. OK, I did have first radius curves, at one end, but they didnt even like the rest of my layout. Reversing a train of coaches round the layout was not an option. Going forward was an issue in itself. Now my trackwork wasn't brilliant, but it wasn't that bad. I could reverse a whole train of Lima Mk1's at speed round the whole layout and rarely have issues. When I still had the Bachmann coaches I thought I could adapt them to go round first radius curves as I had already modified other items to do so. However, it was the close coupling system coupled to the extra flexibility of the nem pockets which was the issue. They just didnt like pointwork. Even on the larger radius points and the double slip they had issues.
I knew a way to fix the Bachmann coaches. Bachmann sold replacement bogies to a commonwealth design. I could fit those instead as they had couplings on the bogies themselves. However, at £4.99 per pair of bogies on top of the £17.99 per coach I'd paid. I decided it was better to cut my losses and sell them off cheap.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 20-04-2018 at 12:33 AM.