Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 27-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
TimberSurf
Webmaster/Modelapprentice

TimberSurf is on a distinguished road
Default The best kick off point for searches

How about a few more options? Scalescene is only one of many!

Card Kits

I have personally gone off card and now prefer something with texture and there are now new options other than plastic kits!

Laser Cut Models

Some of the built ones I have seen at shows are outstanding, no more expensive than card, but admittedly need painting

Gauge = OO Controller = NCE Points = Servo Block control = TBA Lighting = USB from PC Locos = 50+ Wagons = 1,200+
TimberSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberSurf View Post
How about a few more options? Scalescene is only one of many!

Card Kits

I have personally gone off card and now prefer something with texture and there are now new options other than plastic kits!

Laser Cut Models

Some of the built ones I have seen at shows are outstanding, no more expensive than card, but admittedly need painting
I already have one of the In The Greenwood products WIP
here is the forum link to it http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/s...ad.php?t=13914

Thank you for those links, I am working my way through them and I am thinking of buying the Lcut small signal box, it is perfect for what I need.

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 27-04-2018 at 08:25 PM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #13
Hound Dog

Hound Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Metcalfe Wayside Station

Following the recent debate re Scalescene's v Metcalfe etc, I thought I would give myself a break from track laying and wiring, and build my first Metcalfe kit - the 00 gauge Wayside Station kit, which I purchased many months ago.

I have to say it was a real joy to assemble and the quality is outstanding for the money. The instructions were relatively easy to follow and bar for my inability to administer the right amount of glue in the right place, there really wasn't any great difficulty and I would have no issue in recommending such kits.

At about 80% of the way through the kit, I managed to get a glue based fingerprint on the lower roof and in the process of trying to remove same, I spoilt the ribbed design.......no great issue as this section was probably the best place for this to happen and I resolved to paint over the roof section - first with a terracotta colour to match the ridge tiles, but this made it look like a rusty corrugated roof, which whilst although a kind of neat finish it wasn't appropriate this fine station. I then hit on the idea of a green leaded finish and this is what I have tried to achieve (see attached).........perhaps needs to be lightened / weathered a little, but that is for another day - actually I think the splash of coloured brings the kit to life somewhat.

Anyway, fun afternoon and more kits will surely follow, but back to the track laying duties tomorrow night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Station 1.jpg (512.0 KB, 24 views)
Hound Dog is offline   Reply With Quote