Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 15-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #41
Lexicaltje

Lexicaltje is on a distinguished road

Looks good!

You've been doing lots of things ive had to do as well for the first time. Soldering, ballasting etc... But it all quickly makes sense. One of the things ive most enjoyed doing so far has been weathering the track and ballast with the airbrush. So worth the investment in an airbrush for that and doing buildings, locos, rolling stock and all that.

Its been fun re-learning how to solder. I hadn't done it since school either but im pretty comfortable with it now after soldering what felt like a million droppers!

Did you get any more locos / rolling stock yet?
Lexicaltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #42
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

I have gotten better at soldering today in leaps and bounds, just doing 7 points, 2 ends of wire and then 6 switches and 2 ends of wire and 1 terminal on the switch.

I am thinking about an airbrush too, not so much for weathering the track as I am maybe past the point of no return with this layout since I have the ballast down and point motors installed.

I'll be doing so many droppers for my big layout I'll almost feel like a pro.

Other than my mk1 maroon brake coach no, I wont be spending too much money on this loco wise, I want a jinty for shunting but thats about it.

As I am going N in my shed I will be looking more towards that once this layout is finished, I will finish it propperly though, no half jobs.

I do want some more mineral wagons for this layout now I have my coaches sorted, I have done a little reading and apparently post war a lot of wagons were in a sorry state and could have been privatly owned and bought by BR and never had livery changed, so some could also be from grouping era.
As I am in an area which is ex-LMS ex-GWR I can mix a little with my wagons.

I also realised I am modelling early BR, with damn late crest coaches...... damn it I just love these maroon ones, but my 3MT is early crest.
Old 15-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #43
Lexicaltje

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncomin5torm View Post
I have gotten better at soldering today in leaps and bounds, just doing 7 points, 2 ends of wire and then 6 switches and 2 ends of wire and 1 terminal on the switch.

I am thinking about an airbrush too, not so much for weathering the track as I am maybe past the point of no return with this layout since I have the ballast down and point motors installed.

I'll be doing so many droppers for my big layout I'll almost feel like a pro.

Other than my mk1 maroon brake coach no, I wont be spending too much money on this loco wise, I want a jinty for shunting but thats about it.

As I am going N in my shed I will be looking more towards that once this layout is finished, I will finish it propperly though, no half jobs.

I do want some more mineral wagons for this layout now I have my coaches sorted, I have done a little reading and apparently post war a lot of wagons were in a sorry state and could have been privatly owned and bought by BR and never had livery changed, so some could also be from grouping era.
As I am in an area which is ex-LMS ex-GWR I can mix a little with my wagons.

I also realised I am modelling early BR, with damn late crest coaches...... damn it I just love these maroon ones, but my 3MT is early crest.
I weathered my track after it was pinned and ballasted. It made sense for me to do it like that because then you can weather the ballast as well. I used rail match sleeper grime and then matt black to darken areas where locos would naturally be stationary for a while as well as darken the ballast slightly in places.

If you want a cheap airbrush i would recommend this one from amazon;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABEST-airbr...words=airbrush

Its been great for me and includes everything you need to get started.

Im not sure im much of a purist when it comes to period. I've got all sorts of period locos and coaches. Don't get me wrong they are all pre 1960's i think, but im not that bothered about making sure they are all the right period.
Old 17-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #44
oncomin5torm

Layout update.

Ballasting is complete and now installation and wiring of point motors and mimic board is done as well.
I have soldered permenant power connections to the track that goes off scene onto the future fiddle yard.

As can be seen below, with my faithful Standard Class 3MT 2-6-2.

https://youtu.be/7Ium2D-b_OQ

I do get into shot at one point where a small stall over a point frog needs a push.
After a morning sorting small blips where soldered connections came off it is all good now.

Next step, scenery and buildings.

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 17-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #45
oncomin5torm

Layout in its glory.
Thought I'd put some rolling stock on it and see what it will look like.

The first siding is going to be a loco shed for the shunter which goes to the local colliery and such.
Second is for keeping wagons and brake vans when not in use.
3rd is commercial/industrial/cattle loading.
4th is empty wagon storage for taking back to the colliery.
The final one is full wagons of coal waiting to be taken off up the line.

I have marked out approximate areas for future building's to go as well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26ac2MS]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HAKMvZ]

Old 17-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #46
Lexicaltje

Nice little layout. Good job!
Old 18-05-2018, 12:44 AM   #47
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Very good. I'd not worry about the date the layout is set in. Put it in slightly later steam era and all is good as the railways were very slow at catching up in liveries, especially when it comes to old wagons and shunting locomotives.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #48
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

Looking good.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote