Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
andy757

andy757 is on a distinguished road
Default Four Bridges

Well, finally after many months of problems, the house purchase is finally going ahead and with the house comes an acre of land and a 30ft x 20ft newly built brick and timber workshop. The problems encountered were with another house, not this one.

So the dilemma now begins in that I am wondering, do I build a layout in the workshop or have a garden railway ! The workshop is built from breeze block and a steel frame and lends itself to having a first floor added for storage. I will clad building with feather boards. The current owner has already made a start of adding the frame work to take them.

The photo shows the workshop from a few months ago but is now virtually finished, and has double doors on the front. The photo provides an idea of the size of the workshop. There is power to the workshop but is not yet connected. I'm having other electrical work done once I get the keys to the house (garage converted to an office) so the electrician can connect up the workshop at that time.

I'll have a small wood burner installed for heating in the winter (am having one installed in the garage/office too). Currently there are no windows but being of breezeblock construction, adding a couple later shouldn't pose too many issues.

With regard to the layout project, I'm leaning toward not having a garden layout but instead keep everything in the dry. The animals will take up probably a 3rd of an acre anyway and because of the way the garden is laid out, I'd have to negotiate a railway past the animals somehow.

I've modelled in OO and N gauge previously but as my eyes are not as they once used to be, I think OO gauge would be the way to go and I'm thinking of maybe using half the available floor space, continuous running and be operated from a centre position. Thus a small, non-scenic section on hinges so as to lift up to gain access to the centre.

N gauge would obviously provide potential for a massive layout in terms of the space available but I think OO gauge would do me well.

Your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (175.3 KB, 214 views)
andy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Crikey Andy - that's big enough to have O gauge indoors I'd say, but certainly, you will have plenty of scope for a OO layout. I often imagined (when I win of course) having a layout in a space such as you have there but with the layout around the outside of the upper level so you came up into the operating area without any lift out/up sections and have the storage/workspace downstairs. A mezzanine if you like. Of course, that's all a pipe dream. R-
Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
andy757

I did consider O gauge but it is a gauge I'm not too familiar with in terms of suppliers of stock, track etc.

I think OO gauge will satisfy my needs and I think this time, I'll be going down the DCC road....
Old 04-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road

Holy moly that's a lot of potential space!!!

I'm very envious. You'll have to keep us updated with everything.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
stevenfitch

stevenfitch is on a distinguished road

What about a fairly simple G Scale garden railway with storage at just above floor level inside the workshop then your 00 Gauge on the usual baseboards above that.

Also with that space you don't need to be constrained by just boards all around the wall, you could have a 'U' Shaped layout with loops either end, the open end of the 'U' then lets you walk in without the need for liftout sections.

OO Gauge DC with some automation (now no longer)
Automated N Gauge Loft Layout (now no longer)
Automated G Scale Garden Railway (current)
stevenfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
andy757

I'm steering away from anything in the garden simply due to the geography of the workshop in relation to the garden. I would literally have to run tracks through the land where my animals will be.

I like the U shape idea though so will add that to my list of plans
Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Your shed would be perfect for a O gauge layout Andy,
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

That is what dreams are made of.

As Steven mentioned above a U shape layout in OO with return loops would be ideal. No ducking under or removing sections. What ever you decide I look forward to seeing its progress.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
andy757

One of the first jobs on this project will be to clad the outside with featherboards, insulate the interior walls, lay a new concrete floor and install some decent lighting. The latter 2 items in the spring no doubt.

Two thirds of the building will be for the railway and the other third, space for workbenches, tools etc. Oh and the ride on mower

Am considering O gauge but likely to go down the OO gauge route in the end.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy757 View Post
One of the first jobs on this project will be to clad the outside with featherboards, insulate the interior walls, lay a new concrete floor and install some decent lighting. The latter 2 items in the spring no doubt.

Two thirds of the building will be for the railway and the other third, space for workbenches, tools etc. Oh and the ride on mower

Am considering O gauge but likely to go down the OO gauge route in the end.
I don't envy that list of jobs. I did similar with my outbuilding, though mine is not anything like the size of yours.