Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 21-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #11
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossy View Post
sorry need to ask what is IRJ's?
= insulated rail joiners
Old 21-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi. Not discussed with retailer yet. When I set the PSX1 to 5amp setting all appeared to work ok so I am thinking that the z21 is working fine and its more the PSX1 causing me the issue. Perhaps highlighting problems with the layout.... I had a couple of locos with issues at a certain point on the layout furthest point so I now thinking that your comment about the droppers etc or dirty track....

sorry need to ask what is IRJ's?

Advice would be appreciated on any good boosters that work with the z21 as I am thinking of splitting up the layout into 2 zones.. the Roco one is expensive
Any DCC Booster should work if the output of the Z21 is to NMRA standards.
IRJ is Insulated Rail Joiner (Nylon fishplate).
Setting the PSX-1 to 5.0Amp means it will never trip as the Z21 is rated at 3.0Amp so the PSX-1 is then 2 Amp over the base units tripping threshold. It should always be set to below the base units threshold otherwise its not doing the job its purchased for!

Post edit... Just spotted dtb gave you the IRJ answer!

Last edited by Flashbang; 21-02-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Post edit to text
Flashbang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
Bossy

Bossy is on a distinguished road

thanks am i missing something here as i don’t have any irj’s on layout but i assume not needed as all points are insulated frogs.? don’t have layout split this is what i am considering and getting booster.
take your point about the 5amp if i set to 1.27 even on year track loco trips out board with any slight load and on layout next level think2.78 it trips out all of the time very frustrating. z21 on own all is fine i have found out. forgot to add i do have a return loop isolated but found with the z21 my old loop board for auto switching did not work correctly and shorted base unit even though it worked perfectly with prodigy but not getting into that one as that’s a further pain i have sorted by a toggle switch
Bossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

As FB has indicated, it sounds as though you have a problem with the layout and while it is possible to design a layout without conflicts it is unlikely. Can you post a track plan for the experts to ponder over to see if there is anything obvious that is being missed?
Old 23-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #15
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

Could you post a track plan of your layout? Might help us to understand your problem.

@ SteveM
Great minds etc

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #16
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog (RJ) View Post

@ SteveM
Great minds etc
One will be along in a minute or two.
Old 23-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Quote:
thanks am i missing something here as i don’t have any irj’s on layout but i assume not needed as all points are insulated frogs.? don’t have layout split this is what i am considering and getting booster.
take your point about the 5amp if i set to 1.27 even on year track loco trips out board with any slight load and on layout next level think2.78 it trips out all of the time very frustrating. z21 on own all is fine i have found out. forgot to add i do have a return loop isolated but found with the z21 my old loop board for auto switching did not work correctly and shorted base unit even though it worked perfectly with prodigy but not getting into that one as that’s a further pain i have sorted by a toggle switch
Hi
Sorry, but for some reason I thought I'd read you were using Electrofrog points?? Forget the IRJs then, as with Insulated frog points they are not normally needed. But if short circuits occur as metal wheels pass over the points plastic frog where the two metal rails are at their closest they can be fitted to remove the shorting problem.

What RLM are you using to flip the reverse loops rails? If its the Gaugemaster one AFAIK its relay based and is too slow for some DCC systems and the system trips before the RLM relay contacts have chance to flip the rails polarity.

While talking of the reverse loop and just to be 100% sure... Its insulated totally form the rest of the railway. Four IRJs are need as a minimum two a the entrance and two more at the exit. No other rail feeds should be connected to the rails of the loop other than the output of the RLM. Conventionally the length between entrance and exit IRJs needs to be greater than the longest whole train to travel over the loop. i.e. the longest train fits fully inside the loops IRJs.
Old 15-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #18
Bossy

Bossy is on a distinguished road

Just thought I would close this off as I have sorted the issue... ok I had to check that the PSX1 had latest version which it had. I then activated CV55 to 1 which then let me amend CV65 to say 30 which set up the short delay side. that worked ok for a week but I got so fed up with shorts ended up splitting layout into 2 and got another PSX1. The original one then stopped working which I thought was a fault. Tonight I ran the z21 maintenance programme updated to v1.30 and altered the DCC options to DCC signal only, altered the short timing from low to mid point (not sure if this was going the correct way!) overall this has now got it working great on the test track again ie short reset without tripping the z21!. might have to play with CV's on the layout.Took some reading and working though websites but result.. Thanks for all the comments and your last comment may have been actually correct as the z21 was not putting out pure DCC signal so I suggest those that have one check ytube and look to do the above
Bossy is offline   Reply With Quote