Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 22-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool is on a distinguished road
Default Modern N gauge layout

A recent unexpected change of address has left me with a room to fill with a layout. It took me a short while to find inspiration, but then I saw a layout on another forum and I was inspired.

My plan is reasonably similar and I hope (s)he is okay with my almost blatant copying, but I didn't simply take the plan and alter it. I saw (s)he had a tightish turn at one end and how it had been arranged and that is what got me thinking. I had only thought of that area when drawing up my plans, but as it happens the station area is quite similar.

Anyway, here it is....

At it's longest point it is 9 ft (although a chimney breast prohibits me using that space everywhere) and it is going to be approximatly 6-7ft at it's widest, although no boards will be more than 3ft by 2ft as the room it is going into has a steep set of stairs leading to it and I'd rather not fall to my death for this layout. The diagram shows only 6 ft wide, but I figured there is another foot of space to use after I had drawn it.

The main station will be raised above street level, the part just below which looks like a station will be a former station area that has been reclaimed for a freight unloading point (which will be the purple bit just below it). The twin track heads downhill to the main fiddle yard/siding area. The shorter platforms have access to a single track branch (which was double track many years before this layout is set) and a pair of sidings on another former twin track route.

At the moment the plan is to have the single track branch go into a tunnel to hid the 180 degree turn, before arriving at the single platform station. this could allow me to pretend it has a few minutes between stations by hiding the train in the tunnel. but it strikes me the it wouldn't look very good as the track would have to drop a fair distance to avoid a huge hill.

The layout will be set around 2000-2003, so I'll be looking forward to the 142s and new 101s due out this year sometime. There are some loco hauled workings planned, in the form of mk1 and mk2 coaches with either a 47 or 37/4 hauling, alongside HSTs, Voyagers and WCML loco hauled express stock (which means OHLE!). DMUs will ofcourse be the usual traction for local workings though, with classes 150, 158 and 170 already awaiting service.

It's going to be based on the Shropshire/Staffordshire border, so the WCML expresses could feasably be extended from Wolverhampton and it is far enough north to justify First North Western DMUs (Just!) alongside Central Trains units. I'd also just about be able to justify Silverlinks new 350 units which fit the very end of the timescale.

Ideally this will be a DCC layout, but decoders are required and I'll have to get some experience of fitting decoders to older models, but I have a reasonable idea of what to do there, I guess it's just a case of 'getting my hands dirty'.
hairyhandedfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
southern

southern is on a distinguished road

look's good to me ' your last layout in oo was nice from the pic's i have seen. but it all take's a lot of time. but do we ever finish a layout i think not ?. there is allway's some thing to do. i have the same problem with a chimney breast but my layout is over my garage.
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
hairyhandedfool

Hopefully this will get further than my oo gauge layouts did, I hope to make it look better too, but I have to find the right stuff for the right job. Anyway, the first job is building the baseboard.
Old 23-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
hintonrailways

hintonrailways is on a distinguished road

what is the layout name? looks a good plan

dan
hintonrailways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
alfaz-di-pi

alfaz-di-pi is on a distinguished road

Hi HHF your new layout looks good, keep us posted on the progress.

Albert
alfaz-di-pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
hairyhandedfool

I'm not sure on a name yet, I'll get round to that soon enough.
Old 23-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
hintonrailways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
I'm not sure on a name yet, I'll get round to that soon enough.
sorry i didnt make my self clear i ment the layout that insipred you

dan
Old 24-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
hairyhandedfool

Oh I see, 'Shawbury' was what inspired me.
Old 24-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
hintonrailways

thanks

dan
Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
hairyhandedfool

Some Progress.....

The base boards are well on their way to being finished.

I just need to cut the tops to size and attach, and then I can really get stuck in!